got ethical husbandry?

Dog may have ingested Kalkwasser

svreef

Webmaster
BOD
Last Friday, I removed my Kalk reactor and left it in a bucket in my office, which has a divider so that the dogs won't get in it. Well...the dogs got into the bucket and chewed up a bunch of stuff yesterday (I was not home).

This morning, our young Chihuahua has vomited and is lethargic. It is possible he ingested some Kalkwasser slurry. The poison information for it doesn't sound very promising: https://www.mountsinai.org/health-library/poison/calcium-hydroxide-poisoning

Anyone have any experience with this type of thing?

Kalkwaser is nothing more than pickling Lime. I use it in canning. What it does is give the pectin of the pickle a large dose of calcium.

Really to advise you on how serious this is we need to have a rough idea of how much was ingested.

What breed of dog and how much does he/she weigh?

Last edited:
Pablo, how is your dog doing? Fingers crossed for you.

Gerry’s advice above sounds solid about calling ASPCA poison control, and he would know.

We didn’t take him to the vet. He laid in my wife’s lap all day and we forced him to drink some water initially. There was no more vomiting or other symptoms. Slowly but surely he started to perk up and drink water on his own. Now, he’s almost back to his normal behavior - but not eating. Hopefully he’ll eat in the morning.

This morning he ate, pooped and viciously barked at strangers, so he seems to be back to normal.
320A2356-21CE-47FB-A7F8-65E30D443BBC.jpeg

Back