High Tide Aquatics

DOH!

tuberider said:
Letting friends drink around my tanks and wondering why my skimmer was all of the sudden overflowing....

Never happened to me but have seen this......really pissed me off eventhough it wasn't my tank. Only to be surpassed by seeing guys grab fish out of the tank and dipping them in them into their drinks and putting them back so they "swim funny". :(

-Gregory

Dropped my new purple lobster into my tank that had a minatus grouper. He thought it was food and gobbled it up right away. I was told by the LFS guy (this was 7 years ago) to place the lobster on the sand floor and I should be fine. So I attempted it again. I even put the lobster next to a rock so he could hide. The minatus came out of nowhere and gobbled him up too. :*

Never again.

Yeah, I had roommates throw a party and had beer end up in my fish tank too, freshwater at the time but still killed everything. Not sure actually what all ended up in it but I know there was cigarettes, bottles, and a paid of panties. I was not happy and ended up moving out.

Moved tanks and forgot to pull the plug on the heater in the sump while draining it (I can relate Gusty) & dropped pinpoint salinity monitor into tank....expensive move. Dropped light fixture into QT and got a little jolt trying to catch it....let's not talk about the fish I was QT'ing...RIP.

I've not been playing this game for long but I've already been distracted once during a water change and siphoned about 8G into the carpet.

Re-aquascaped my tank and ended up pulling an all nighter because the rocks wouldn't fit quite right. Finished up in time to go to work.

Came home from work and found my Superman monti sitting in a container of leftover rubble :(

I have a 30 gal return tank for my skimmer. After that an ~20gal compartment for a 14 inch deep sand bed before the return pump. Added lots of nice new sand. I was dosing 2 part in the skimmer tank - perhaps a bit excessive to get the main tank parameters good. Well, I now have a calcified "cement" brick that is ~14 inches deep and about 16 inches by 22 inches. I've learned to dose directly to the main tank if possible. Good thing that I designed a flow-around the "brick" in case the flow got low. I still don't know what I'm going to do with it.

played with my ATO before going on vacation. Came home and the ATO dumped 5g of kalk on the floor, and vortech battery, and almost caught my house on fire.

I overheard this at a fish store, but a customer was complaining that everything they put into the tank would die within hours. Employee asks about the whole setup, what they did to cycle, etc., and that was when they discovered that another employee that had advised the customer how to setup the tank forgot to mention salt! :-o

I keep 33g trashcans with fresh-water on my patio, just in case. Usually have at least one pre-mixed with salt, and on a water change I put 33g of the tank water into a can so I could clean filter pads and some other equipment. Cleaned everything, and then put the incredibly disgusting water back into another tank, the 33g fresh water into a 90g tank, and dumped 33g of new saltwater into the drain...

Paid 20 bucks for GSP once.

More recently I bought a $100 LED bulb, plugged it into a cord that was hanging from the ceiling. The hook from the ceiling fell out after I was "testing" how secure it was causing everything to go into the fish tank below. The light was on for about 3 minutes before I screwed it up. Talked about it on my tank log: http://www.bareefers.org/home/node/12313#comment-154203

I paid $25 so there! :) And to be honest I really enjoyed the 'neon grass blowing in the wind' for several months before I realized it was free, via BAR, so I wouldn't say it was a dumb thing per se.

When I went to get a CUC two years ago...

"Margarita snails will thrive in your reef tank and clean all of the algae!"
"I'll take two."
"If you buy four you get two dollars off..."
"OK I'll get four."

Added snow to my tank. Ok. The wrong kind. When I first setup my 120, the salinity was low, so I added like 5 cups of salt directly into the return area of sump. A whole bunch of salt settled on sand. My chromies and button polyps colony were freaking out. Luckily thats all I had in there and everything turned out fine. DOH!

seminolecpa said:
Dropping a glob of super glue in my tank and having my foxface eat it, subsequently gluing its mouth shut.

I woke up sleeping household members laughing at this.

Dumbest thing I've done have been trusting the clip holding my vinyl tubing on a water change, the tube fell out and was spraying water all over my living room for 30 sec before I came back to the tank. You turn your back for one minute...

Back