Neptune Aquatics

Dosing Pump

Looking into purchasing a dosing pump to help with my Kalk water. I am looking at the following brands. Please give me your input and which one you use. They are close in price, but I am not sure on the quality.

Aqaumedic and Drews

Another idea I have is this: Purchase a Percision Marine Kalk Reactor, then feed it with RO/DI with an aqualifter pump. This would be set up on a time to push so much every day. Aqualifter would be puhing clean water and no need for a $80-100 dosing pump.

The Aqualifter might work. Not sure how much "head" it can handle. But when the pump is off, can it hold back the kalkmix in the mixer? I mean when the pump is off, will the entire contents of the kalk mixer NOT run back through the pump and inot your RO reservoir? A peristaltic pump has the advantage of not allow water to move once it's not running.

The Drew's doser isn't a bad idea. You can make a similar one yourself, but you'd only save maybe $10 off of what the Drew's doser costs. Often the DD is not in stock.

V

Been using these OEM pumps without fail so far, many options too if you want more flow, dc vs ac, etc.
http://www.aptinstruments.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AI&Product_Code=SP100VO&Category_Code=SP100

I'm pretty sure Drew's Doser uses the pump that Mike is linking to. So it's a matter of how handy you are and how much DIY time you have whether you use Drew's or the APT ones.

I'm inclined to use the APT pump when my medical dosing pump dies.

V

Drew's Doser is the already assembled version IIRC, however the one time someone pointed it out from BRS (I think) I could not find it on their website.

I went with DC because at first I thought about adjusting the voltage to suit my needs, but later saw it wasn't necessary due to not running the pump continuously and simply run it at max for a set time (on a timer). Also DC pumps faster (more RPMs on the motor) as a result you don't have to run them as long, although I think they are a bit noisier (but you're going faster so yeah!)

Tubing, silicon, and go with the largest size the pump allows so I don't need to leave it on as long, and you're set.

No other casing options or anything, simply soldered the leads to a 12v wall wart I had laying around to the pins on the back, and I was good to go. I have my timer go about 30 minutes a day to push about 2 cups of 2-part solutin (at half strength) into my tank.

[quote author=Vincerama2 link=topic=6042.msg76564#msg76564 date=1232736365]
... I mean when the pump is off, will the entire contents of the kalk mixer NOT run back through the pump and inot your RO reservoir?
[/quote]

You can insert a one-way valve.

Back