Neptune Aquatics

Easy To use Refractometer on a budget

I got a Hydrometer, but i'm sick of the inaccuracy of the thing. anyone know where I can buy one that's easy to use and most important easy on the pocket books?

Hydrometers blow. When you get your refractometer, make sure to calibrate it--especially if it is a new one. You should make sure the water you use to calibrate is around 78 to 82 degrees since most refractometers (except the really expensive ones) will give different readouts depending on the temp.

I wouldn't calibrate to water. I'd use a solution standard closer to what you should be measuring. Otherwise you could get a slope error (basically your readings will be off, depends upon the quality of the meter)

BAR has free standards that we generally bring to meetings. Pick up a bottle at the next one for calibrating your new or old refractometer.

neat -- i'll drop by next time you guys have a meeting and pick a bottle up =) maybe pay for membership =P

I went to marine depot.com and bought a salt mix kit -- 99 bucks for a bucket of salt + the refractometer, power head, heater, thermometer.

neat =D

CamryDS said:
neat -- i'll drop by next time you guys have a meeting and pick a bottle up =) maybe pay for membership =P

I went to marine depot.com and bought a salt mix kit -- 99 bucks for a bucket of salt + the refractometer, power head, heater, thermometer.

neat =D

I bought that same kit. It's a pretty good deal and works well. Just make sure to calibrate your refractometer. Mine was .020 off! I added a clean up crew after my tank cycled and they all died instantly. :(

Back