Jestersix

Eheim pump seized :(

Recently, my skimmer pump (eheim 1250?) stops working (impeller seizes). I've taken the pump appart and it looks just fine. No build up, no gunk, nothing. I did a vinegar bath for the heck of it and it still seizes up. I can manually "kick start" it by rotating it while plugged in, but after a bit it will stick again.

I'm not sure if there is some sort of plastic swelling going on (Ian's thought) or not because visually, all is perfect. On the impeller parts: The rubber ends tit snugly into the housing and cap and don't rotate. The impeller rod fits into the rubber caps and while a bit snug, still rotate though I'm not sure if either of those two conditions are normal. Appreciate any feedback.

Could be the wire coils inside the pump itself burnt out such that there is a non-uniform oscillating magnetic field... of course I just wanted to say some big words like that :D

Mr. Ugly said:
And the rod moves freely inside the magnet?

+1 there might be build up inside the magnet where the rod passes.
I had an issue like that but was a different pump; cleaned it by soaking in vinegar and using a bamboo stick to sort of scrape off the build-up.

Thanks guys. That' did it. While the rod looked file, there was a very hard to see highly localized and hard to see "calcified bur" that snagged only in certain positions.

treylane said:
When I was running a ca reactor, I had to replace the impeller in the Eheim 1250 that drove it, about once a year.

Do you have by any slight chance a used impeller for the 1250?
I bought a dead silent 1250 and later learned it was so silent because no impeller was inside.

Back