got ethical husbandry?

Elysia Subnorta

There is hope!!!. I've been battling caulerpa nummalaria for a while now. Too lazy to prune it constantly and can't find anything to eat it.

I saw a documentary yesterday called "Killer Algae" which documents the invasion of caulerpa taxifollia in the mediterranean sea. Really scary because I see how it spreads in a small aquaria but this was on a global scale. They weed is still spreading but at the end of the documentary, they mentioned the discovery of a sea slug, Elysia Subnorta that eats specifically caulerpa taxifollia.

I wonder if they will eat other forms of caulerpa and if so how can I get some? Some people suggested I try sea lettuces of sea hares but I am skeptical about them because caulerpa contains a toxin that will kill most animals if eaten constantly. Elysia Subnorta on the other hand, carries an enzyme that allows it to neutralize the toxins.

I believe they brought a bunch of those over a few years back and nothing really happened, sadly.

Foxfaces love Caulerpa as well as tangs, but IME foxfaces rule, mine evan ate my saw blade caulerpa and is now nibbling at my arch nemisis Halimeda.

You can also force it to go sexual if you're up for a nail biting experience.

Back