Kessil

Ever thought of having a Yelp type rating for our LFS section?

I was looking over out LFS list and realized there are way more stores than I thought. But I'm sure like most family guys I have limited time and I generally make one big run on the weekend to cruise the shops. But I'd really like to visit more stores and see what else is around. But also I don't want to waste my time going to places that have limited stock, unfair prices etc. So I was thinking is there a way we can do a anonomus poll that has yelp type rating?

Things like: Variety of Reef Stock, Prices, Rare-hard to find items, etc?

I don't think we should push one shop over the other, but just let the better shops naturally bubble to the top so potential new customers might be drawn the the shops that seem to have better draws to us reef keepers?

Just an idea, I think I want to start expanding my LFS run :)

thanks for the Google LFS map gresh & the list of store on our site.

This was discussed when we first made the list and at the time the BOD decided it was not in our best interest.

problems I see are much of a review is personal opinion.

what you find pricey I may not... but I think all livestock should be much more costly to begin with

Stock... one person may routinely hit a store between shipments and another may hit them when they get stuff so there would be two wildly different opinions laid out.

I could see a check box style working like do they have dry goods, do they stock marine, do they stock freshwater, frozen foods, coral frags, etc

Just my humble opinion and does not reflect the current BODs thoughts one bit :)

We had one at the old NCNRS club and what Greash is saying is the truth, we had someone come on and rate an LFS as being rediclously priced and had no staff, I knew who posted it and I asked them why they felt that way as I know that is not the "Common" view of this store, truth is they just got into reefing and couldn't afford the TOP end chalices, they tried to get them for 1/4 of the price and were declined, so they made a bad review................

IMO it doesn't work well, to open and to much what gresh sais is persoanl opition

I would like to explore the check box style so at least you can see if the store is a full line, just marine, no dry goods, etc.

Maybe something like this:
[ ] Frags
[ ] Marine
[ ] Freshwater
[ ] Full line (all pets)
[ ] tank maintenance
[ ] frozen food
[ ] refrigerated food
[ ] dry goods

from a list like that you can sort of key into what stores might have what you are looking for.

GreshamH said:
I would like to explore the check box style so at least you can see if the store is a full line, just marine, no dry goods, etc.

Maybe something like this:
[ ] Frags
[ ] Marine
[ ] Freshwater
[ ] Full line (all pets)
[ ] tank maintenance
[ ] frozen food
[ ] refrigerated food
[ ] dry goods

from a list like that you can sort of key into what stores might have what you are looking for.
I like that idea but maybe break up the frags into 2 groups
[ ] SPS Frags
[ ] LPS Frags
I have a store I go to that has a lot of LPS but No SPS.

SoulFish said:
I was looking over out LFS list and realized there are way more stores than I thought. But I'm sure like most family guys I have limited time and I generally make one big run on the weekend to cruise the shops. But I'd really like to visit more stores and see what else is around. But also I don't want to waste my time going to places that have limited stock, unfair prices etc. So I was thinking is there a way we can do a anonomus poll that has yelp type rating?
Pretty much if they are a sponsor store, they will be decent to visit. We're really picky about who we accept as sponsors.

You might post to ask, "Which store should I visit this week for Lps/Sps/frags/minicolonies/frogfish" or whatever.

There are stores in the GBA that are good and are not sponsors though. Not all are into sponsoring clubs so they haven't asked to be a sponsor :D

Plus yelp is a travishamockery...

They may eventually hit up the LFS and say, hey pay us or we'll leave only the bad reviews up...how else do you think they make money, it's happened to a few friends that owned restuarants.

I see your point, the check boxes could help though. Especially if it let us know what they sold. Or maybe what they frequently get alot of. Kinda like Jim at Green Marine seems to stock more SPS than things like Acans.
I just would like to know which Stores have larger selections of types of corals & products. I hate traveling a hour+ to a store that has like 3 saltwater tanks and no corals. But when I call on the phone and ask do they have a large selection of marine fish etc, they always say yes.

[ ] SPS Frags
[ ] LPS Frags
[ ] Softies
Stocks alot of [ _____ ]*

thanks guys for the replys.

GreshamH said:
Isn't Yelp in trouble over that right now?

They are going to be required to post all feedback instead of selected feedback, that is going to bring in the winds of sh!t for sure, I can't wait to see how irrelevant the site when that happens :D

tuberider said:
GreshamH said:
Isn't Yelp in trouble over that right now?

They are going to be required to post all feedback instead of selected feedback, that is going to bring in the winds of sh!t for sure, I can't wait to see how irrelevant the site when that happens :D

Whoa there Mr Leahy :lol: winds of sh!t :lol: sh!t storm :lol:

My company has a pretty good rating on yelp (4.5 of 5), and they still called us to ask for money. They said that if we didn't advertise, the screening process would turn-up MORE negative feed back. Then, about a week later, I got threatened by someone that was unhappy with what we were paying that they worked for Yelp. Probably full of crap, but interesting none the less.

GreshamH said:
There are stores in the GBA that are good and are not sponsors though. Not all are into sponsoring clubs so they haven't asked to be a sponsor :D

this is true, also awhile back I posted a thread about a non sponsering store and it was removed, the reason given was that the posting of info about stores is reserved for sponsers, so if that rule rang true you would only be able to judge the stores which ARE sponsers

huh I find that odd :( IMO there is only 1 store not worthy of our forums and it's in SF and not a sponsor :) And the reason for taht is the care they give the animals or rather the lack there of.

GreshamH said:
huh I find that odd :( IMO there is only 1 store not worthy of our forums and it's in SF and not a sponsor :) And the reason for taht is the care they give the animals or rather the lack there of.

I never said they ain't worthy of being a sponser, and that was never said to me.

to be very clear.

I posted about a store, and some great things going on there. Thread was deleted. PM was sent to me (this was back when I was a paying member and had PM's) saying "your thread was deleted as BAR like to only allow sponsers to use the site for showcasing or advertising". I do not nor have I ever worked for that store, so IMHO what I did is no different then what is being discussed in this thread, and my thread was deleted, becuase the store was not a sponser.

Roc said:
GreshamH said:

I never said they ain't worthy of being a sponser, and that was never said to me.

to be very clear.

I posted about a store, and some great things going on there. Thread was deleted. PM was sent to me (this was back when I was a paying member and had PM's) saying "your thread was deleted as BAR like to only allow sponsers to use the site for showcasing or advertising". I do not nor have I ever worked for that store, so IMHO what I did is no different then what is being discussed in this thread, and my thread was deleted, becuase the store was not a sponser.
huh?
I think you read something I didn't post then as I didn't say they weren't worthy of being a sponsor Roc, only I feel there is one store not worthy of our forums :) I didn't imply anything, nor did I mean anything other then that, but thanks for the post :)

The LFS list has all the stores, even the one I don't think should be associated with this club in any manor. I bet had you simply went to the resources and entered the store on the list nothing would have been said. IMO that list would be exactly where a rating or check box would be listed, not on the forums themselves. That would get messy very quickly.

Back