High Tide Aquatics

Fishing in Santa Cruz or HMB

[quote author=MontanaBay link=topic=4423.msg54080#msg54080 date=1220114772]
I think you have to buy a license not matter what, CA is one of the few states that require a license for fishing in the ocean. In terms of fishing private water I'm not sure, some states you do need a general license, some a private water license, some none at all. Let us know what you find out.

Cheers,

Josh
[/quote]

When you are fishing on the pier, you don't need the license. If you step down that pier, you do.

[quote author=Elite link=topic=4423.msg54082#msg54082 date=1220114924]
When you are fishing on the pier, you don't need the license. If you step down that pier, you do.
[/quote]

haha, was just correcting that when you posted. I wonder if it is meant to protect access for all social/economic classes.

[quote author=MontanaBay link=topic=4423.msg54080#msg54080 date=1220114772]
I think you have to buy a license not matter what, CA is one of the few states that require a license for fishing in the ocean. In terms of fishing private water I'm not sure, some states you do need a general license, some a private water license, some none at all. Let us know what you find out.

Cheers,

Josh

Edit: I see CA has exemption for public piers on the ocean rule
[/quote]

Ones that need to protect their stocks use the permit system :) Our ground fish, salmon, sea bass, sharks, etc are all in great danger as their numbers are in a steep decline, especially our groundfish which take longer then most humans to get to breeding size, and live longer then humans as well.

I worked on longline boats for almost 8 years back in the late eighties.. Very target specific fishing.. I know everyone seemed to hate us but 99 percent of what we caught went to market and was consumed by the general public.. As opposed to the big draggers where approx 25 percent of what they caught and killed went to market and the rest would just go overboard...

Phong you need a license to fish at san pablo dam reservoir.. Your kids do not.. As long as they are under 16.. YOu can purchase a daily fishing license. If you plan on going 3 or more times during the year you should just buy an annual.. If you plan on only going once, a one dayer will serve you fine.. The one day license fees also go to fish and game.. There is a one day permit fee to fish at san pablo dam that the concessionaire collects as well as parking...

I spent time on the Mako when it was up here working on the ocean salmon project with Melody and have participated in the tagging programs for local groundfish and halibut.. The sportfishing fleet has almost made their quota for the year and is in danger of an emergency closure again.. They are lumped together with the commercial quotas as well for groundfish ie rockfish, rockcod, lingcod... The sport take consists of less than 2 percent of the quota....

Just call the bait shop there .. The info is pretty good.. The day I went the catfish were eating chartreuse powerbait :) I know its supposed to be for trout but I'm pretty sure the catfish are raised on some type of purina chow same as the trout.. So the bait smells good to them as well.. Chartreuse glitter power bait was working good.. Nightcrawlers with a marshmallow caught a couple for me as well...

Just call the concessionaire and they can tell you when they last stocked the catfish and what they'vbe been biting...

I guess anchovie or grassshrimp doesn't work then?? ;D

I'm not sure the fishing store near house has chartreuse powerbairt.. I will check with them... Thanks!!

I'm pretty sure they will.. It's an industry standard :) Big 5 and sports chalet will have it as well if you can't find it locally.. Fishermans warehouse down near you will have it.. As will the bait shop at San Pablo Dam Reservoir.. It's about $5 a jar everywhere.. Maybe a dollar more or less here and there.. Anchovies will probably work as well... When you use the powerbait though you stand a chance of catching trout too.. Even though its a little warm now for that... You might try calling lake chabot as well.. THey are run by the same concessionaire and are slightly closer to you off of 880.. Great place to bbq and hang out as well..

No problem man.. I like to see parents take their kids fishing.. WHen I was growing up all kinds of people fished all the time.. Nowadays kids just play video games..

I take my son whenever I can.. He made his first couple trips this year on my friends fishing boat.. Now I know he can handle a little swell and the long day :) These are some of the fish that he has caught..

2729086454_0d1df9a323.jpg

2726474043_4bbab6395c_o.jpg

It won't be long until power bait is banned from all reservoirs in the US. The UK led the charge a few years ago when they found a HUGE area covered with Powerbait that didn't break down and starting doing trials on how it effects lakes. There isa much better alternative to PowerBait...SeaBait. It attracts fish much faster and from further away. It's ragworm (bristleworm) oil. I'm not sure about where in the US you can get it but I know the main scientist in the company so I just get free samples when I see him at aquaculture shows :) I'll try to get extras next time :)

Sweet I'm always interested in the latest and greatest.. ANyway to have an edge over everyone else :) I always wondered about that.. The powerbait reminds me of playdoh and if you see how much ends up in teh lake its amazing...

I always cherrypick the days I fish :) I see my friend a couple times a week.. The halibut fishing has been good since march... One trip I had 16 halibut and 9 bass.. The boat had a total of 60 somethinghalibut that day though.. It's slowed down a bit but they are still averaging 1-2 fish around almost everyday... It's been too windy outidse to fish the northbar or seal rocks but the days they have made it out have been phenomenal on the halibut.. Rockfish is still open as well. Water has warmed up enough to keep the bite pretty consistent at the farallons...

[quote author=Elite link=topic=4423.msg54107#msg54107 date=1220123210]
that is some big fish you son got.. we should have a BAR fishing day.. ;D
[/quote]

I'm so in, we could go up to Linmantour Beach, nail some surf perch, rockfish, and BBQ

and if nothing bites we bust out the fight kites for king of the beach!

I had been making some trips up to point reyes and fishing off the beach up there.. Thats a great place to take pics as well.. Lotsa wildlife big wildlife like ELK :) Great surf perch fishing and at this time last year the stripers were biting extremely well.. It's a long walk though. The area we fish is about 3miles through the sand :) I had to carry Tyler on my shoulders the last two miles there and the whole way back.. Luckily my friends carried my 2 bass and surf perch :)

This is my friends boats website.. www.tigerfishsportfishing.com ... Check it out. He has a daily fishing report for the days he goes fishing.. He is normally in Half Moon Bay but currently he's running out of emeryville off of powell street...

Back