Neptune Aquatics

Flatworms

My tank has an increasingly large number of little brown flatworms.

What say you, wise reefers? Are they trouble or just ugly? Should I try and get rid of them, and if so how?

TIA

flat worm exit, not really bad, but unsightly when the population explodes and covers everything in your tank.

if you have very little I'd say FWE the tank be ready with carbon, be ready with a water change after however. They do release their toxin when they die, so if you can catch your fish prior and stick them in a bucket with a powerhead and heater if possible, since often you'll have more unseen flatworms then you will have seen ones.

I live with them, like Rich said, they're just an eyesore.

If you want to cut down the population, run a siphon hose with a filter sock on the end into your sump, and suck 'em up.

[quote author=tuberider link=topic=4194.msg50356#msg50356 date=1217297060]
I live with them, like Rich said, they're just an eyesore.

If you want to cut down the population, run a siphon hose with a filter sock on the end into your sump, and suck 'em up.
[/quote]

Heh. I just hit post on a message asking if I should just siphon them and not risk the stress of a flatworm exit treatment, then I got a warning saying you'd posted in the meantime. :)

I think that's what I'll do. I'm all for avoiding pesticides in my tank whenever possible.

I found that sixlines can eat them like candy. They are hit and miss though. For me they are way more hit. I won't have a tank without one.

I had to nuke my tank because of planaria. they started small and then took over the tank.

I did a FWE treatment, and then another 2 days later. After that I did 5 drops a day in the tank for 2 weeks.

I still had flatworms. I ended up taking all my rocks out and bleaching them.

Guess what! I noticed a couple of flatworms the other day. so I'll try the FWE again.

Try a melanarus (sp??) wrasse. The'll eat them.

B

I go with siphon also. Water changes can help as well.

Sometimes you'll see tanks go through a planaria cycle. They can eventually go away with removal and maintaining water quality.

I like six-lines for planaria too, but some people have problems with them being aggressive. If you feed the tank a lot, the six-lines may not go for the planaria as much.

Back