Kessil

Frags? $10-20 each?

nash

Here is what I was thinking.I come across nice sps corals from time to time but my tank is full. This is the plan
I'll buy the coral (you got to trust that I pickup something good.No brown or greens ;D) We each will get 1in or larger frag.Hope to get 3-6 reefers so cost would be from 10-20 each.Anyone interested? Still details to work out.

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=2549.msg26387#msg26387 date=1194102062]
Here's an idea, don't buy the coral if your tank is full. :)
[/quote]
Alway room for one more :D

Hehe... until you start letting them grow out to colony size :D

More stuff for DBTC, I suppose.

Save room in your tank for when we start doing colony growing contests, Wayland :D

[quote author=bookfish link=topic=2549.msg26388#msg26388 date=1194102166]
Where do I get my BARCO card?
[/quote]

YOu didn't see the giftcard rack on the way in? NO worries, you will at check out :)

Nash, thanks for bringing frags to the meeting and giving them out to other members and the raffle. That is part of what we are trying to encourage in this club as a way to ensure these animals continue to survive through the hardships we all inevitably have with the ecosystem we have built for them.

Your idea sounds like a great way to continue to build diversity in your tank, however these are more than just stamps or coins, they are actual animals. Overcrowding any animal isn't so cool. You wouldn't keep your dog or cat in a shoe box, would you? These animals that we all care about need more than a shoe box. They need to grow and be healthy, 'cause there are fewer and fewer of them every day.

Instead of focusing on squeezing more animals into your tank, maybe we could all help or advise on how to build a dedicated frag tank or step up to that larger tank you have mentioned?

C

[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=2549.msg26392#msg26392 date=1194105464]
Hehe... until you start letting them grow out to colony size :D

More stuff for DBTC, I suppose.

Save room in your tank for when we start doing colony growing contests, Wayland :D
[/quote]
no large colony for me...once they start to grow too large I'll frag out.
Colony are for the ocean.

[quote author=cwolfus link=topic=2549.msg26403#msg26403 date=1194153692]
Nash, thanks for bringing frags to the meeting and giving them out to other members and the raffle. That is part of what we are trying to encourage in this club as a way to ensure these animals continue to survive through the hardships we all inevitably have with the ecosystem we have built for them.

Your idea sounds like a great way to continue to build diversity in your tank, however these are more than just stamps or coins, they are actual animals. Overcrowding any animal isn't so cool. You wouldn't keep your dog or cat in a shoe box, would you? These animals that we all care about need more than a shoe box. They need to grow and be healthy, 'cause there are fewer and fewer of them every day.

Instead of focusing on squeezing more animals into your tank, maybe we could all help or advise on how to build a dedicated frag tank or step up to that larger tank you have mentioned?

C
[/quote]
I don't think my tank is Overcrowded ;D I like the diversity always something new to look at. Well not really like a dog or cat since corals don't need to run around and I can always frag when they get too big. I just need to provide the correct conditions for them.
BTW: How's Japan? our dollar must be weak there.Any LFS ?
Wayland

Dude, I looked up overcrowded reef tank on Wikipedia and there was a picture of your tank! ;) (Beautiful as it is) You're the only guy I know who had to develop a way of gluing corals to other corals to make space for more!! ;)

That said, I know you continue to have good success with SPS and are generous with frags which is very cool.

The question is at what point does overcrowding of corals become unethical? Do you feel it could be unethical at any point? Or perhaps ethics are not an issue when it comes to corals?

BTW, Japan is cool, but quiet as we are mostly just visiting family. I'm hoping to visit my favorite Tokyo LFS tomorrow and maybe an aquarium. I'll show you the pics once I get them together.

See you soon and sorry for hijacking the thread.

C

Back