Our mission

FREE Coral Rubble from the Steinhart Aquarium

Matt_Wandell

Supporting Member
Honorary Supporting Member
Hi all, we have a whole pallet of surplus coral rubble. This is large pinky knuckle sized chunks that are composed entirely of calcium carbonate. You can take as much as you want for free. Right now I have about 30 gallons of it but will have much more soon.

PLEASE DO NOT reply to this thread if you want to come get some. PLEASE DO reply to me at mwandell@calacademy.org to arrange a pickup. Thanks!

Matt_Wandell said:
PLEASE DO NOT reply to this thread if you want to come get some. PLEASE DO reply to me at mwandell@calacademy.org to arrange a pickup. Thanks!

Several people have contacted me about this. While usually that is fine (Matt and I often share one brain) this weekend I am out of town as a reward for being married for 13 years so I am really not keeping track of the details of what is going on at work. If anyone wants this coral rubble please contact Matt at the email above. :D

What Rich said! I am amazed at how many people have already contacted me so far so I will try to get back to you all tomorrow if not tonight. FYI we have a ton (literally) of this stuff so we should be able to get some for everyone and we are not in a rush to get rid of it.

Also, some FAQs:

Where did this rubble come from?
The rubble has been in our large reef tank for the last three years. It has been exposed to corals, clams, fish, etc. and will still be damp when you get it.

Can I use it in a calcium reactor?
It is the proper size but theoretically calcium carbonate kept in a reef tank will have a higher coating of phosphate on the outside. I would give it a rinse in vinegar or diluted muriatic acid to wash off the outer layer, or run GFO on the output of the reactor. Either way, we can't make any guarantees about its usefulness in a reactor. Having said that, it should work fine.

Should I rinse it?
Yes, definitely. It will be "dirty" as it was part of a sandbed, and has been exposed to our tank inhabitants and all their potential parasites. I would soak it in freshwater for at least a few days.

Do I need to bring a container?
Yes, bring a container to hold the rubble. We don't have any containers to give out.

When can I pick it up?
I work Tuesday through Saturday, and you can come by tomorrow (1/21) if you arrange with me via email ahead of time and can come in the afternoon. Generally Tues - Thurs are the best days to come pick it up, but Fri/Sat can work too if necessary. PLEASE DO contact me ahead of time, and PLEASE don't show up on these days without notice, as I have a busy schedule and am not always available to meet people at a moment's notice.

Thanks,
Matt

Oh, also--if you don't want these for calcium reactors, the pieces are just the right size to mount tiny 1/4"-1/2" frags onto. The other thing we do with them is place some Xenia, sponge, Nephthea, mushrooms, mini carpets, etc on a small bed or tray of the rubble and then wait for it to attach or split. Makes it very easy to remove and give out any clones.

I will bring a five gallon bucket of it to the swap.
I plan on leaving it in the back of my truck.
Bring a container if you want some.

Any chance I could snag a bucket today? Is anyone around? Tomorrow might work for me as well, depending on my work schedule. I'm off work again Wednesday, so could come by then if that's more convenient, if there is any left.

Anathema, try emailing me again. I missed your last one somehow. Someone is coming to pick up our last 2 buckets tomorrow. However, I plan on grabbing another bucket or two this Saturday.

Back