Reef nutrition

Free Stuff for you....giddyup!

Matt_Wandell

Supporting Member
Honorary Supporting Member
Hey BAR,

I have a "box o' junk" that's been sitting in my closet for the last 2 years and is a regular topic of conversation with my significant other. If you would like to come get it for yourself, or bring it to the BAR meeting for newbies that need cheap stuff, it is all yours!

Included in this package deal:
Two 55w "EZ ballasts" for firing PC bulbs
Red Sea Wavemaker thingamajigger (you plug several powerheads into it)
Milwaukee pH meter (needs a new probe)
Hydor 200W inline heater, can be used with canister filters or on a return from a sump
Some other aquarium stuff I don't want to bother digging through right now
A Playstation 2 with 2 controllers and GTA San Andreas (good game for the kids)
A cheap DVD player with remote
A firm handshake from world famous biologist extraordinaire Matt Wandell

All I ask is that you take everything. I'd really like it to go to good use or to the club rather than getting tossed.

My ph# is 530 219 6002 and I live at 1693 Funston Avenue in SF. If you want to come by right now I'm home...

Wow you still kept your old # from Davis?

I should do the same and post all my free stuff. I just moved and boy I enver knew I had so much aquarium stuff. I tossed an old ETSS Reef Devil skimmer, a Aqua C 120 skimmer, and all kinds of other stuff I knew no one would want. The skimmers didn;t work and no mods ever helped so no one bash please :)

Great, I'd love the 55w PC ballast & other reef related stuff, but a DVD player? (I got one in a closet collecting dust myself) and a PS2? Yikes man! :D

I got a few tanks collecting dust I'd give away... however I ask you take my old lathe and every rusty tool in my garage as well :D

I also have some stuff collecting. Mostly junk but its reef stuff.

I been looking for a ph meter for a while i have a probe sitting in my room but no meter. All well to whomever gets it will be a lucky one.

sfsuphysics said:
Great, I'd love the 55w PC ballast & other reef related stuff, but a DVD player? (I got one in a closet collecting dust myself) and a PS2? Yikes man! :D

I got a few tanks collecting dust I'd give away... however I ask you take my old lathe and every rusty tool in my garage as well :D

Does the lathe work? Pic? Model/make?

Last I used it quite a few years ago it worked, no pics, it's an old Montgomery Ward model #04TLC-700A literally 1941 is when it was made. By the looks of it looks like my grandfather made his own power switch/motor adjustment... lets just say the wiring isn't exactly UL approved... he was known for making extension cord out of coaxial cable.

Apon said:
Matt for the non Aquarium stuff you can donate to goodwill, they will take it.

That's where it's going if no one wants it; I figured someone out there must have a kid's play room or something they could use a DVD player or video game system for.

Well if you decide to dump the home furnishings at goodwill I'd be more than happy to take the aquarium stuff and dole it out at a meeting... after I pick some of the things I want that is ;)

JAR said:
sfsuphysics said:
he was known for making extension cord out of coaxial cable.
Ha! apples don't fall too far from the tree aye! :D :D

Only in the fact I'll DIY just about anything... however I dunno about making those extension cords like that... I mean sure I'll slice up those computer power supply cords for everything reef related but come on those at least were meant to be power cords :D

I'd just like to add that you shouldn't use a coat hanger as the starter wire for a '71 Nova. It works for a minute then the car catches on fire. Not that I'd ever be foolish enough to try such a thing but that's um...what I heard. Yeah, that's it.

I also would like to add that you shouldn't have an exposed 5KV line on a mass spectrometer...someone might accidentally touch it not knowing it was there...

Also make sure to unplug a Jacob's ladder experiment if you don't see the arc and think its not working correctly before trying to adjust the wire spacing

Here's another holy cow, guys. I didn't realize we had machinists in the group. I was part of a manufacturing facility for 26 years catering to the commercial airlines and wafer fab. If I see another lathe I'll scream! :cool:

And Mike, ever build a Van de Graff generator? I remember the first time I set my hand on one and turned it on. I still like that Einstein hair-do.

Nice giveaway Matt! Way to go.

screebo said:
Here's another holy cow, guys. I didn't realize we had machinists in the group.
.>

I've never been on auto pilot and turned on the manual mill with a crescent wrench on the spindle nut.

>.<

John: Hopefully you were standing on a board or something when you did that :D never built one myself, however I've seen first hand someone who touched one and see their arm jerk back so fast it'd make a pro boxer go DAYAMN that was fast!

Tony: Ha! On said lathe (which got this whole thing started) I did have the chuck key in when I flipped it on... granted it doesn't move as fast as a drill (it's got a transmission! :D), but man that key flew off and I was lucky I didn't get bonked in the head

Gomer said:
I also would like to add that you shouldn't have an exposed 5KV line on a mass spectrometer...someone might accidentally touch it not knowing it was there...

Lessons learned from stupid chemists...

Don't use a heat gun to speed up your recrystallization from ether.

If you spill acetone on the floor, a BIC lighter may be the fastest way to remove the acetone, but it isn't the best way.

You don't have to swallow liquid nitrogen just because someone dared you.

:D

Back