High Tide Aquatics

Glass Cutter

I am thinking of building my own sump and need glass baffles. One of the SF stores quoted me $275 for six pieces of 1/4" glass. Hogwash. Anyone know a good and cheaper solution?

I am thinking of building my own sump and need glass baffles. One of the SF stores quoted me $275 for six pieces of 1/4" glass. Hogwash. Anyone know a good and cheaper solution?

Depending on the size of your sump, you could buy a 40 gallon breeder from Petco when it goes on sale and cut the baffles yourself from that. (~$58) You'll need a glass scoring wheel (~$5-6). I've done this and I will warn you it's a little bit of work and elbow grease to pull apart a tank.

You could also buy scrap pieces of acrylic from Tap Plastics from their dollar bin, but it would probably take a few visits to various stores to find enough pieces of the correct size.

i have a 40-gallon in mind...i've read it's hard to bond acrylic to glass. I was considering acrylic. i don't like the thought of cutting my own

Acrylic for baffles Is sufficient....I would never make a tank with acrylic and silicon.

If you don't want to cut your own, I'd just buy a used sump like @Bruce Spiegelman said. Or you could buy one of the 40breeder baffle kits from eBay or Amazon or someone like Modular Marine.

I picked up yesterday two long pieces of acrylic or polycarbonate; they are about four feet by one; if you want to go that route, you can have them.
E6000 is the material you want to bond plexi to glass but a thick bead of silicone will keek the baffles in place; sort of acting as a gasket.

Baffles are over rated! Just use a 40 breeder, put your drains and skimmer on one side, and your return pump on the other side. It will work. If you want a refugium I'd say it actually easier to just use a separate tank and have it drain into your sump. You can use your return pump or the drain from the display to feed it. You could even plop a 10 gal in a 40 breeder and no drilling required

Last edited:
I picked up yesterday two long pieces of acrylic or polycarbonate; they are about four feet by one; if you want to go that route, you can have them.
E6000 is the material you want to bond plexi to glass but a thick bead of silicone will keek the baffles in place; sort of acting as a gasket.
Sure, I'll take them. I live in SF and am working this summer in Cupertino for Amazon. Where are you located?

Baffles are over rated! Just use a 40 breeder, put your drains and skimmer on one side, and your return pump on the other side. It will work. If you want a refugium I'd say it actually easier to just use a separate tank and have it drain into your sump. You can use your return pump or the drain from the display to feed it. You could even plop a 10 gal in a 40 breeder and no drilling required

As Mike points out, you can put a tank inside the 40B, I have a 10g tall, glass as well.
I brought the plexi sheets home.

As Mike points out, you can put a tank inside the 40B, I have a 10g tall, glass as well.
I brought the plexi sheets home.

I can come by later today and fetch them. Will you be home? What would that mean to put a 10 gallon inside the 40? for the refuge? how would that drain?

If you pour water into it until it's full, then keep pouring water in, what will happen? It will overflow.
If that 10 gal (refugium)is placed inside a 40 gal (sump)it will overflow into the 40 gal sump.

This

Back