got ethical husbandry?

Good place to window shop for tanks?

Matt_Wandell

Supporting Member
Honorary Supporting Member
I've come to the conclusion that if I'm setting up a tank I've got to see the thing in person first instead of ordering online. Any places in the Bay that have a good stock of smaller aquariums laying around?

I'm specifically looking for something glass, rimless, open top, with a built in filter compartment, and in the 10-40 gallon range. The Current USA Solana 34 is almost perfect, if I could find one without having to buy the light fixture. The CAD lights 18g looks good too, but I want a closer look at the removeable filter compartment...on paper it sounds like a mess.

Gresham, what did you do with those aquariums when Jeremy and I faced off against each other and I bribed the judges for the win? :D

One was part of the raffle IIRC and the other they sold to a local store.

Need some contact info? ;)

Thanks for the lead Mario!

Any other places fellas?

Jeremy, any time you wanna throw down for a rematch it's on!

Whoo hoo, went to Aquatic Gallery and Bao hooked me up with a used beater 24g JBJ Nanocube. I'm going to remove the lid and hang an LED pendant. First home tank in...over 5 years? Back in the hobby baby!

Matt_Wandell said:
Whoo hoo, went to Aquatic Gallery and Bao hooked me up with a used beater 24g JBJ Nanocube. I'm going to remove the lid and hang an LED pendant. First home tank in...over 5 years? Back in the hobby baby!

Dude. I have frags for you. :D

I thought you were looking for the non-rounded glass kind of AIO, I have a full of air NC-24; spotted it last week when we moved the tank home; Do you need a stand for the cube? I have a not so pretty JBJ stock stand; needs a door but easy to cut or another one that would require a top to sit the tank onto. LMK

Thanks Mario. I was in the market for something with straight corners, but I mean, free tank! I actually already have a piece of furniture ready for it to go on too, but I really appreciate the offer.

The next step is to see whether the trim can be removed on this baby and leave it nice and rimless...

I don't really buy that argument. It's not a lot of weight, and a single piece of curved glass...I know the manufacturer will tell me otherwise, but I think that's a CYA kinda thing.

Mikey, I hear you got a new tank too?

Seems several people have done it (remove the top plastic trim) on the nano-forums; in fact I'm tempted to do it.
Just wondering on the glass if JBJ cubes are sharp edged then sanding it very careful would be needed.
Somewhere a while back I read of a BC29 having smooth glass edge after removal of the plastic trim.

I got a new tank? Heheh... yeah I was coming home from the library, and a block away on the corner I noticed out of the corner of my eye that TruVu blue color... so I pulled over, flipped the tank over and sure enough one of those 55g LONG tanks... it's got some scratches in it... but if it holds water... no biggy. Now do I need to set up a new tank? No effing way! But if I need to hook in a refugium inline or something it holds water and I'm happy :D

sfsuphysics said:
I got a new tank? Heheh... yeah I was coming home from the library, and a block away on the corner I noticed out of the corner of my eye that TruVu blue color... so I pulled over, flipped the tank over and sure enough one of those 55g LONG tanks... it's got some scratches in it... but if it holds water... no biggy. Now do I need to set up a new tank? No effing way! But if I need to hook in a refugium inline or something it holds water and I'm happy :D

Finding a tank on the street is like finding a greenback with the Jackson face on it !!

Hey Matt score on the new tank! I've seen a few people do them rim less. What led pendant are you gonna use?

On a side note, do you still have the chameleon you got from me way back when or did she pass?

Matt_Wandell said:
Thanks!
I am considering using ocean beach water to fill up my tank. Lunacy? LOL
Lunacy? My dear sir, I do believe that any self respecting gentleman would only consider the pristine waters from the ocean beach.
Cheerio.

Back