Neptune Aquatics

Got Kalkwasser?

The best part for me, is that if your alk drops below 7.5, but you are actively buffering with kalk, you might not get any ill effects. I still buffer back to an alk of at least 9dkh, but it is fantastic to have that safety net. I have lost a lot of coral in the past from an overnight alk drop. I am talking about SPS here, not LPS.

That is an interesting note. I have had issues with low Alk killing things as well. (Over use of GFO causes sudden Alk drops - oops)
It is the PH drop killing things, not so much the Alk, so it makes sense that Kalk gives you a safety factor.
Hmmmm....

Thanks for the advice! I will not be dosing the 2 part just the Kalk. To be honest, I was on the fence about using Kalk but I hear your reef is just magnificent and that you use Kalk so I figured why not give it a try. Someday I'm going to have to come over to Pacifica and see your reef in person
Cheers!
It was after seeing his tank that I even considered using Kalk.

Thanks for the advice! I will not be dosing the 2 part just the Kalk. To be honest, I was on the fence about using Kalk but I hear your reef is just magnificent and that you use Kalk so I figured why not give it a try. Someday I'm going to have to come over to Pacifica and see your reef in person
Cheers!

You are welcome anytime.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So a question on Kalk:
since I now mix the vinegar and the Kalk powder together and I get the full chemical reaction (no precipitate) before adding to R/O. I don't have to worry about drawing Kalk off the bottom of the bucket?

Last edited:
The powder on the bottom is like sand you dump it. The full diluted liquid is in the ro water already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The powder on the bottom is like sand you dump it. The full diluted liquid is in the ro water already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
There is no powder. By putting the Kalk into the vinegar it completely dissolves and leaves behind no powder/sand/precipitate

Back