Jestersix

GPH for return pump

finalphaze987

Supporting Member
So i went ahead and ordered a 50 gallon cube from CAD lights to start off my new build. I want to utilize as much equipment from our older setup as possible, but have a feeling the dart we have on there now is out of the question..lol..

My question is, what GPH should i be aiming for? CAD lights rates their overflow @ 1200 GPH but i dont want to be the one to push that limit and prove them wrong. Ive been looking at a couple pumps rated @ 780 GPH and 1013 GPH but i would imagine this is at 0'' of head. if all goes to plan im looking at about a little under 5'' of head. any have any suggestions on which i should be leaning towards? TIA

Eheim 1262 is what I would recommend if you can afford it. I bought a used one and it's a dependable workhorse.

PS - Elliot's selling one - http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1844427

Hey patrick welcome back!

First " = inches ' = feet I imagine you mean 5 feet of head :D

That said, I've never really been one to throw a ton of flow through a tank via a return, but that Eheim recommendation isn't a half bad one, if you want to go on the cheaper side, QuietOne 3000/4000 would work fine too however in my experience they can sometimes be touchy for restarting properly.

I've got the Eheim 1262 on my 150-gallon tank (with almost 5 feet of head pressure). The Eheim pump has been very strong & dependable. I do have to reduce the flow with a ball valve to avoid the sound of water rushing down the drains (your overflows are probably more silent). A 1262 would provide a high amount of flow in your cube!

I'm doing a 1260 on my 150 as well. IMO WAYYYYYYYYYY to big for a 50 gallon tank. 1250 would be perfect. Any more will dilute the efficiency of you skimmer and heater :D Or 1260 but with water diverted back to the sump. You could feed all you filtration off it, like reactors and fuge.

Wish there was a 1255 :)

Another idea is using one of Marinelands new returns.

QO 3000 or 4000. IRC at 5' head it will pump about 600gph but i could be wrong. Plus it uses less electricity then a eheim 1260 or 1262.

On a side note, I'm still running the QO 3000 that i got from you a while back and have'nt had any start up issues and i frequently turn off my return when i feed.

What up Mike! Good seeing you on bro..

Ive considered the quiet one pumps since ive ran them in the past with success..pretty reliable and last pretty long since mels still running the one i sold him...mann that things a champ..how long has it been Rome? 2-3 years?

the eheims sound like a good idea, i have them on all my reactors and cant even tell theyre running unless i feel it... i think ill look into those more..

I gotta agree with you Gresh, a 1255 would be perfect...

im considering the 1250 since in not really relying on the return for water movement since im keeping both vortechs, but the extra power of a 1260 might come in handy one day..

Ed YGPM

Back