Reef nutrition

Hanna Alkalinity Calibration

thesassyindian

Supporting Member
Does any one have the Hanna Alkalinity (dKH) Checker Calibration Set I can borrow for a few minutes?
Preferably in the Peninsula / North Bay?

My checker has been giving me wildly inconsistent readings. I've been checking the alkalinity with the Hanna, Salifert and Red Sea kits, every day for the last week.
Salifert and Red Sea are within a margin of error, but Hanna is consistently about 2dKH lower.

Thanks!

1616193354565.png

I also suspect my Hanna Alk checker is off. I had one for a few years that worked great, but it eventually died, and the one I bought to replace it seems less reliable. Less of an issue since I have Trident, but still annoying.

I thought about getting the Hanna Alk calibration standards. But what do you do with the info? Can you actually use it to calibrate your Hanna? Or you just know how badly it’s off/know when to complain to Hanna? Anyone have experience? Also curious if you can use the Hanna standards over and over or do they have a limited use?

I also suspect my Hanna Alk checker is off. I had one for a few years that worked great, but it eventually died, and the one I bought to replace it seems less reliable. Less of an issue since I have Trident, but still annoying.

I thought about getting the Hanna Alk calibration standards. But what do you do with the info? Can you actually use it to calibrate your Hanna? Or you just know how badly it’s off/know when to complain to Hanna? Anyone have experience? Also curious if you can use the Hanna standards over and over or do they have a limited use?
You get 2 vials. 1 to zero and 1 tinted to simulate a sample. The range is printed on the top. So if the checker reads within the range, it is working. irrc, the range is no where near where we normally use the checker. I believe it is on the low end of the range. So, not very useful in terms of calibration or accuracy in a range we use it at other than to confirm proper general operation.

Reactions: JVU
Hmm so I’m just trying to imagine what I would do with the info if it doesn’t read the expected reference value. If you can’t actually calibrate the meter, and you don’t know how far off it is at your alk level because the reference level is significantly different, then what is the point?

Hmm so I’m just trying to imagine what I would do with the info if it doesn’t read the expected reference value. If you can’t actually calibrate the meter, and you don’t know how far off it is at your alk level because the reference level is significantly different, then what is the point?
Fool you into throwing good money after bad?

they technically expire. And I just noticed mine has been expired for a while. Also, I believe the calibration kit is just pretty much colored water and not really a “standard.”

image.jpg

Back