Kessil

has anyone tranported a glass tank using Uhaul Cargo trailer?

I'm thinking on picking up a fairly large galss tank down south, I been having issues finding the best and most economical way on picking it up. I found this Uhaul Cargo Trailer (http://www.uhaul.com/guide/index.aspx?equipment=trailer-6x12), but im not sure if it would be safe. Has anyone used this trailer before? do you think it be safe enough to transport a tank?

I was thinking on placing a foam and flat board under the tank, then shrink wrapping it.

or if anyone has a better/economical idea on transporting a tank, stand and canopy, your input will be appreciated.

thanks,

Ed

I transported my 170G glass tank from SF down to SJ in a UHaul. The best thing to do is to rent the moving blankets from the Uhaul place. You can get a big pack of them for cheap. Lay them down on the flatbed and put the tank on top. Then use more blankets on the sides to make sure it doesn't bump into the truck walls. I used the stand and some other wood pieces to ensure the tank didn't slide around too much.

I'd be sure to rent a closed trailer. I've heard that intense heat and temp changes can cause cracking...

Also be sure to rent some glass suction cups. They are worth every penny.

thanks Jason, I'm renting the closed trailer and i have some moving blankets. Good idea about the suction cups, hope the Uhaul of Livermore has it.

i'll keep you posted.

And don't under any circumstances pack other stuff into the tank unprotected (like shoving a skimmer that can slide around.

If the Uhaul doesn't have suction cups, you can find them at most equipment rental places. I would never consider moving a larger glass tank without them nowadays.

Back