Jestersix

heat wave tomorrow 95F

Lights were on in both tanks for about an hour yesterday before the reefkeeper's turned them off on both tanks. Temps still stayed around 80 until about 9pm. I have a huge west facing window, so morning - mid day is fine, around 18:00 the 'ish hits the fan and my place gets uber hot. Tonight I'm going to rig up one of those huge floor fans to trigger with one of the tanks temp settings.

Close the blinds on your windows Jay, you'd be surprised how effective that is, the few days of the year we get these temperatures in SF, the southfacing bedroom window blinds are closed until the sun goes down. It'll still be hot as hell mind you, but a tad less hellish :D It was horrid yesterday. Luckily the downstairs tank got to 79 and that's it, win!

Yeah, having a tank downstairs is awesome! Normally this prevents any heat problems, but the last day or so, the temperature controller has been turning the fan on every hour to keep the temperature below 80F! Makes me thankful I got the controller :D Now to get one for my tank upstairs ... temperature is at 81-82F, without the lights :( Picking up a fan today.

How'd everyone fare yesterday? I just ran a small fan and opened the windows when I got home from work. Tank stayed under 81.

chart

At home I can't use a chiller (reason I posted for sale mine) electrical sucks here and rather play it safe than a short burning down the building. Temperature reached 82 on both tanks and that's with the radiator heather on in the afternoon (a drawback but free heath during winter)
Blinds closed to prevent a real tropic heath inside and that's it; still is time for some battery operated air pumps in case power goes out, we had couple spots in the city that had no electricity for some time since Saturday.

Was a little worried at how mine would fare now that I am running a bigger tank with 2 400W MH bulbs and a totally enclosed canopy. I also did not upgrade my chiller from the 1/4HP I had before, but it did fine. Never made it past 79.7. Having my sump in the much cooler garage I am sure helps a ton as the tank turns over.

seminolecpa said:
. Having my sump in the much cooler garage I am sure helps a ton as the tank turns over.
Yup, it's amazing how a small body of water can basically act like a heat sink. When I had a little 10g frag tank outside on the porch (with 120g of other tank inside) it would noticeably raise the temperature of my tank on hot days when the porch got upwards of 100degrees. So I stopped using sunlight to grow frags (mostly algae so it wasn't a hard choice :)).

40G breeder with 150W MH. My tank stayed below 78 with a small fan yesterday. The house stayed below 80 until 4PM. Had to turn on the house AC because my wife was on the way home. 8)

1/8 HP chiller on the 10g, set at 82° with a 2° differential. Tank stayed cooler than the room, which hit about 88°.

At what temp do you think I should set my lights to turn off at? Currently it's at 80º, is that a good point or should I go a bit higher?

i set my AC to turn my lights off at 82, my fan comes on at 79.4 and it never got above 80 yesterday with the house at 80. BTW i run a 12 gal nano with a 150w MH

My AC3 kills the lights in two stages at 83 and 83.5. Tank is fairly large so there's enough time in that half degree to make a difference.

Being curious about my response for my lights off statement for my AC3 I asked some questions at the RC Neptune subforum, and found I need one more "safety" thing

Max Change 015 M then MH0 OFF, this prevents your halides from flipping on and off just because the temperature drops back down, making the minimum time be 15 minutes before flipping them back on. Something that is by default in the Reefkeeper Elite, however I like the AC3 because I can set the time interval myself :D

My 210 gallons got up to 82 yesterday. I usually keep it 79-80.
This morning I put a fan blowing on the sump.
OMG when I got home today I expected cooler temp than yesterday but not 76.6 degrees.
Wow the power of a fan is amazing. I would not spend money on a chiller if a fan works like that!

Back