High Tide Aquatics

Heating solution during lost of power in winter

ashburn2k

Supporting Member
So I lost power since 10am and still no idea when the power is going to come back, the last update is targeting for tmw noon.

So my question is other than using a generator, what are your approach to address heating issue during lost of power in winter? ( it might not be a such big issue for summer times)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Generator is about the only choice unless your want to do a bonfire in your garage.

Presumably you have a relatively newer furnace that requires electricity (fan), otherwise if you have an old school gravity heater those don't need electricity. In a pinch you could heat water on a stove (hopefully gas) the pour it in plastic bottles and dump those in the tank, although I wouldn't do this unless it either A) got REALLY cold or B) you have a way to actually measure temperature.

Otherwise I'd just wait it out, if it's in a room where you can close the door then do so to make sure that room doesn't get prematurely colder, circulation would be my largest worry, tanks can deal with "cold" for a while much more so than heat.

And unless you live in the middle of nowhere, bitch and moan to PG&E about why it takes a day to restore power when it's not a natural disaster that caused the power loss.

Power came back on at 10pm. Luckily it didn’t take over night. It could get worse at night where temperatures can drop low as 50’s. But I ordered a generator, there’s no serious battery backup that can last me 10hrs for my 500w heater and still affordable.

Back