High Tide Aquatics

HELP!! Frogspawn Dying?

What do i do?
i woke up this morning and lights go on i feed my tank at 3:00pm and i noticed my frogspawn has recoiled? and is spitting out white fibers and red/brown fibers into the water?? all my other corals are fine not closed up?? temp and parameters are fine? will it survive? should i take it out? starting to cloud the water?
please help me

Mine spits out brown/red stringy stuff all the time. I think your should be fine. But I would be worried about the white fibers. Those might be the insides...

The red/brown sounds like zoox being expelled but the fibers escape me. Got any pics?

ok so its officially dead!! :'( i think it was due to temp flux (forgot to turn on the chiller last night but tank only jumped from 79'F to 82'F) alk was a little low and i do have a peppermint shrimp but it has never bothered it before? im going to do a water change tomorrow tanks is a little cloudy! but it almost fully white! no more tenticles very little green or brown left. can it make a come back or is it a gonner? im leaving it in the tank for now. everything in the tank looks fine (fish and shrimp are out like normal) hopefully nothing bad happens. any suggestions on what to do next? i really loved that guy. got him as a freebie 1 head and split into 3 heads :'(

Do a water change, that's usually the first thing I do when something looks amiss. Run carbon/change it. In your case, it might be too little too late, but you never know. I've brought most types of euphylia's back from the dead with almost no flesh remaining on the skeleton.

The temp jump doesn't look too bad. I've fluctuated worse than that with no real consequences (that were visible at least). The pep shrimp might've gotten hungry and gone after it (it's happened before, even after 2+ months of not touching it). Hows the salinity? I'd also ask about ammonia/nitrates/trites but it's a little late now as it probably added its own from decomposing.

So keep water quality as pristine and stable as you can right now, and if all goes well it might bounce back (albeit very very slowly).

thanks for the advice.
salinity is at 1.025
ill do a water change tomorrow and do the other tests also change out the carbon (chemi-pure elite)
i hope this guy can make a recovery.

the peppermint shrimp has been with it since i started the tank and never bothered it??

ill try and post pictures but my camera is at my gf's house!! ill post parameters and update tomorrow.

I had a peppermint shrimp... actually two. I also had hammer coral. Then I had no hammer coral. Then one of the peppermint shrimp had a bit of an "accident" ;) because my clown fish got "hungry" ;) since I decided to cut down my phosphates and not feed them for a day (they are food addicts). All part of by brilliant plan since I couldn't catch the shrimp with my net. So there is a great possibility that the peppermint bothered it so much it just died. It happens...

Kevin,

I have 3 peppermint shrimp with a frogspawn and a hammer, not to mention multiple other coral. They have never touched most of those corals. I'm not saying they won't, but that has been my experience. One of my peppermints did eat a Ricordea (I watched it pull off the bulbous orange parts), so I moved the Ric and it is growng back. The one shrimp did this after we were gone for a week, so it was pretty hungry. They left the aiptasia though. :(

Anyway, I am sorry you lost this coral. Like Phishphood said, I would do a water change right away. No sense in endangering your other corals due to toxins from the dying/dead frogspawn. I also agree that the temp change doesn't look too drastic. It is a great idea to check all water parameters again. If it is an underlying problem, then your other corals might be endangered too.

Good luck.

I highly doubt a P. shrimp did that. Yah it happens, as does satellites falling out of the sky ;) It's rare. They tend to steal food from corals, eat some polyps (rare) and do seem to like zoas, shrooms and rics (still on the rare side). If you feed your fish the peps will get enough to eat and not eat corals :D

thanks again guys!! it just doesnt make sense i feed everyone well. oh well.

i just woke up tank light dont come on till 10:30am. i plan on swing by to Aquatic Central (opens at 11:00am) and picking up some Premix Salt Water. ill read parameters after the water change but what i can see from the moon lights there doesnt seem to be anything wrong.

the reason I mentioned the p. shrimp was because I had one finish off a sick frogspawn, it don't touch it when it was healthy, but soon as it got sick, it was ripping on it like Edward Scissor Hands.

Back