Kessil

Hi from the UK

I managed to visit aquatic collection and cal reef co today. Again, both nice shops. I was especially impressed with cal reef co. Just got to move now...

Okay - got a couple of job offers last week and probably moving to the Bay Area end of April / start of May (scarily quick), so I've paid my dues to become a supporting member :)

Looks like we'll be living in a cardboard box until my wife also gets a job though - ouch, those are high house prices....:eek:

lol, Welcome to the Bayarea! Having recently sold my house in Sunnyvale and bought a new house in Alamaden, I feel your pain!

Where in the bayarea are you looking to move to? If you need a recommendation for a realtor, mine was excellent!

Vincent

Good luck with the move and finding a home it can be daunting but remember all of us on the forum live here so it's not impossible.

Ryan

Last edited:
Unfortunately I had no say in the matter. My wife is from Mountain View and wanted to move back after 11 years in the UK. At least there is plenty of work and more importantly, nice corals.

lol, Welcome to the Bayarea! Having recently sold my house in Sunnyvale and bought a new house in Alamaden, I feel your pain!

Where in the bayarea are you looking to move to? If you need a recommendation for a realtor, mine was excellent!

Vincent

Ideally, for a short commute, near South San Francisco or maybe even a bit further south, as most of the suitable vacancies for my wife are in the Palo Alto to Santa Clara area.

Schools: Yep, We have a two year old and and a 3 month old. The schools seem pretty good all over though.

Tech job: Sort of, but not computers. I don't want to say where until I've actually started!

The upside is if you stay on the peninsula is that CalTrain goes from San Francisco to San Jose, because your wife won't want to commute from SSF to Santa Clara every day. Downside is that's still a long train ride, and if the job doesn't have access to transport from the train station you're pretty much hosed.

There are company buses from caltrain and Milbrae BART. I actually walked from caltrain to my interview, though. Bad idea walking in a tie and woolen suit, as it was unseasonably hot last week. I think I must have looked like a drowned rat! The building also just had to be at the top of a small hill - d'oh!

Well my aquariums are all sold, stock has gone, house is sold and the international shippers just packed my house up a few hours ago. I only kept my tunzes, LEDs, reactors and skimmer. Unfortunately no new aquarium until I buy a house :(. I was hoping to take part in Cal Reef Co grow-out comp, but I doubt that will happen now....

Still, looking forward to setting up a new tank when I'm finally able to. :)

Quick question, the movers wouldn't ship certain of my reef additives - namely iodine due to restrictions in the US due to illicit drug manufacture. Is this true? If so, how do folks supplement iodine in their reef?

There will be other grow-out competitions. We'll get a bar SPS grow-out going when we get the bar zoa grow-out going. I'll be sure to pick out a nice sps for our grow-out.

Haha no worries we have no trouble dosing iodine. It's not restricted here.

The UK is wired 220V/50Hz isn't it? Don't forget the US is 110/60, I mean obviously the plugs won't fit, but still something to keep mindful of needing those adapters... I'm not even sure what the long term usage of them are, are they meant to be continuous use?

Quick question, the movers wouldn't ship certain of my reef additives - namely iodine due to restrictions in the US due to illicit drug manufacture. Is this true? If so, how do folks supplement iodine in their reef?

lol wat? You can buy iodine here easily!

Glad things got packed and you're on your way!

The UK is wired 220V/50Hz isn't it? Don't forget the US is 110/60, I mean obviously the plugs won't fit, but still something to keep mindful of needing those adapters... I'm not even sure what the long term usage of them are, are they meant to be continuous use?

Yep. I only packed equipment that can work on 110 to 240 V / 50 to 60 Hz. That is, except my skimmer for which i'll need to find an alternative needle-wheel pumps in the US. I really like my skimmer and it is new, I so wanted to keep it. Worst comes to worst, I can run the needle wheel pumps from a transformer, as each one only consumes 12 W. All other equipment was donated or sold.

Shame about the iodine (it was a litre of Lugol's - it had lasted a loooooooong time).

Back