Reef nutrition

Hi, someone wanna write this project up?

Good idea Jim, I can help, however it wasn't my "big idea". I do wanna see it spread to some other clubs though, and an article would be very helpful.

Norman, I'd be happy to help collaborate in whatever capacity I can. Maybe I'll put more corals in the DBTC, will that help :D

I'm not the most talented writer by myself, but I'm willing to collaborate with someone on this project.

How long of an article do you need?

[quote author=tuberider link=topic=2727.msg28615#msg28615 date=1198183774]Norman, I'd be happy to help collaborate in whatever capacity I can. Maybe I'll put more corals in the DBTC, will that help :D
[/quote]

Trying to create more work for people now, are you? :D

[quote author=Dyngoe link=topic=2727.msg28628#msg28628 date=1198218033]
I'm not the most talented writer by myself, but I'm willing to collaborate with someone on this project.

How long of an article do you need?
[/quote]
Anything up to 1,500 words would be fine.Thx-Jim

[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=2727.msg28629#msg28629 date=1198218222]
[quote author=tuberider link=topic=2727.msg28615#msg28615 date=1198183774]Norman, I'd be happy to help collaborate in whatever capacity I can. Maybe I'll put more corals in the DBTC, will that help :D
[/quote]

Trying to create more work for people now, are you? :D
[/quote]Just trying to look busy.

[quote author=LordHelmet link=topic=2727.msg28719#msg28719 date=1198477544]
i think DBTC is a great idea and needs to become the norm in reefkeeping. not the exception.
[/quote]

I couldn't agree more...I'm new to this forum, but i find that the interaction between two fellow propagators with a common vision brings a warm sense of fellowship amongst members. Since ive discovered DBTC, its made me look at some prized pieces of mine as a opportunity to meet a rare group of individuals that trust BAR members, new and old, to care for priceless pieces as if it were the last on earth, then pass it on to the next. I've heard of people trading frags, but this program is certainly in a league of its own.

there seems to be a camradery between us now that there wasn't before. it seemed there were the haves and the have nots. now everyone has a chance to have and we are all excited about it.

I love this project. If you need any editorial help, I'd be happy to lend a hand-- I publish regularly in the Hobbyist Magazines. Seems like you have an outlet already, but we'd love to publish some version of this in Manhattan Reefs Magazine if possible. I would also have no problem getting a detailed, well written article published in Advanced Aquarist. Let me know. Randy

I'm the new guy but have delved deep into DBTC, so please consider my perspective.

DBTC is an interesting beast. On the surface, it looks like a gateway to tons of "free" rare and LE corals as well as "free" more common corals. However, DBTC is anything but free. In fact, DBTC is a loan program with an interest rate that would scare away the most extreme loan sharks. In a matter of months to a year (coral growth rate dependent), not only are you supposed to repay the "loaned" coral, but you must also pay two to three times what you borrowed in interest. Who in their right mind would want to willingly accept such a ridiculous loan rate? We would.

There are two major facets to WHY we would willingly dig ourself so far in coral debt. 1) Coral availability. The breadth of DBTC is dictated by the collections and kindness of its donors and in BAR, the arms stretch far. There are corals available to us that ordinarily would cost a small fortune or are simply nearly impossible to get otherwise. DBTC gives members access to these corals. It also exponentially propagates the current availability for a much larger future availability. 2) Environmental preservation. We, the all encompassing hobby, want all the colorful corals that mother earth has to offer and we can do it in two ways. We can pillage and plunder the oceans, taking and permanently scaring the environment, or we can just take a little and propagate on our own. BAR's DBTC takes the later approach and makes these highly desirable corals available in an environmentally friendlier way.

Boil this all down, and you get why I like DBTC :p

[quote author=LeviTillie link=topic=2727.msg33766#msg33766 date=1203085678]
How are we doing on the write up? Anyone making progress?
[/quote]I started one titled "The Line for Free Coral Starts Here", however the DBTC program was shifting and squirming at that point. I ceased writing because I feared it would become something different, and that the concept I was writing about would not be the current DBTC.

If people keep posting comments like Patrick's, Chris', and Tony's, the article will write itself :D

Would be very cool to have an article come together like that.

Just like how DBTC has come together based on what everybody has contributed - and I'm not talking just about the frags either :D

Back