Neptune Aquatics

How Do I Catch a Flame Angel

Joel,

Do not buy the Foster and Smith trap... I have all traps sold by them including the GLASS one made exactly what northbayreefer has.

So I have 3 traps and none work like my DIY version.

All you need is patience and creativity in food baiting...

I take it he nips at your corals... Since I can see you have baskets around them. Why not place one of the corals he nips at inside the trap???

Or better yet... Just leave the trap closed in the tank for a couple of days to get the fish adjusted to it *and think it's normal to have there... Then bait it in 2 days (after starving them) and they will all end up in it!

aalhait said:
Joel,

Since I can see you have baskets around them. Why not place one of the corals he nips at inside the trap???

Or better yet... Just leave the trap closed in the tank for a couple of days to get the fish adjusted to it *and think it's normal to have there... Then bait it in 2 days (after starving them) and they will all end up in it!

Sounds like sage advise. H) I'm still interested in the tube feeding component of your fish catcher system too. If you have a photo of it feel free to post it when you get a chance. Tried one coral in the trap that was pushed over the edge by the FA, so not interested in losing any others. I like the idea of leaving it close and letting them get use to it.

Thank you, :)
R.K.

northbay-reefer said:
I am in Santa Rosa area

I had a feeling you might be in S.R.. I'll keep at it for the meantime. Thank you for the kind offer.

I wouldn't mind coming up sometime to check out your rock work that you've been doing, so maybe sometime when I feel like taking my Voyager out for a day trip and you're up for a visit we can coordinate something.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for following this thread and keeping me in the loop. ;)

Best,
R.K.

I hope this angel is not chewing on your corals while you are working to get it out. I tried a little half-heartedly to get a mandarin out for its own good. It was fat coming into my tank and had dropped way down. In the interim it has become well proportioned again and will be a long term guest. I feel for you trying to get it out and not stir up everything or worst case move all the rock around.

keep it up joel, patience will definitely work... eventually ;)

I tried to catch my flame angel for about 3 years, only way I did it was when I emptied out my tank =X

kinetic said:
keep it up joel, ...only way I did it was when I emptied out my tank =X

I hear you loud and clear. I've been considering draining too, though I don't think I'll wait 3 years to do so. I have a couple of other ideas too, but probably will get around to draining it soon if they don't pan out.

Not sure what "=x" means (?).

Thanks for following along and posting me back. Much appreciated.

Happy Reefing,
Joel

I love fish but I still eat them. I'd send in a miniature free diver in there with a micro-hawaiian sling......just like the old days! :cool:

Have you been starving the fish?

You need to starve them (No food whatsoever!)

Introduce the food only via the Trap! Just place it in there and have them come in and out one by one... The Flame Devil is bound to get hungry!

Oh and =x means... Well :x is user lips are sealed...

And :-X bow tie - X-( User just died

More smilies:
http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh/smiley.html

aalhait said:
Have you been starving the fish?

Unfortunately for the other fish: Yes (going on my 3rd day tomorrow). The flame angel started to take some interest today, but did not go in, but is going closer and closer to it. Tomorrow may be the day.

Thx for the clarification on the =X and links. Also, thank you for following my post and checking in with me as you have. Very much appreciated. Congrats, again, on your new acquisition/aquasition.

Best,
Joel

screebo said:
I'd send in a miniature free diver in there with a micro-hawaiian sling......just like the old days! :cool:

I'm not sure how I missed your post yesterday (?).

I like the "Old days." 8)

That sounds a fantastical idea. Any suggestions where I can find a nano diver? I was thinking about a RC (radio control) underwater toy such as a submarine to flush it out. That's just crazy talk. This seems like a safe Club to go crazy in. Well, if this is the worst of it, I'm not that bad off.

Thanks for following my post/s and offering some suggestions too. Much appreciated. I thought about making a micro - hawaiian sling. Really. I like the hawaiian special prawn spear too. http://www.bluewaterhunter.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/spears.html Just kidding, or am I. Yea, I am.

Best,
JC

blazedapurp said:
what r u going to be doing with the flame after u catch it?

I had planned to trade it withsome one, but I might be interested in speaking with you before hand. It's about four inches, has great color and does eat flake food and mysis besides cleaning off the live rock of copepods (which is why it is making it difficult to trap it).

The only thing is that I am having a heck of a time trapping it, so if you don't mind waiting I'll get back to you. :)

Thank you for following my post and responding.

Happy Reefing,
Reef Keeper

tuberider said:
Depth charge? It works for submarines :D
i have a couple m80 fire crackers.it's work.i saw it with my own eyes.i use a hand grenade when i was in cambodia back in 78 in a lake.i have a enought fishes to feed a village with just one grenade .It's seem like all the big fishes float to the top,i never the little one tho.hmmm How big is your flame angel again?:)

lapsan

orientalexpress said:
tuberider said:
Depth charge? It works for submarines :D
i have a couple m80 fire crackers.it's work.i saw it with my own eyes.i use a hand grenade when i was in cambodia back in 78 in a lake.i have a enought fishes to feed a village with just one grenade .It's seem like all the big fishes float to the top,i never the little one tho.hmmm How big is your flame angel again?:)

lapsan

LOL For some reason, I think I'm supposed to take this seriously. It seems to wild to not to be true. Thanks for your post.

aalhait said:
Nope not what I described... Close... but no cigar.

PM me your #, so we can chat on the phone tomorrow.

Will do.

Updated 10/23/09

New Fish Trap Design - The AJ Way

On a similar note, I read on RC that you can squirt carbonated soda water near a fish and that anesthetizes them briefly so they can be netted. Has anyone heard of this, tried it or know if it's safe?
:quest:

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_3850.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_3851.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_3852.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_3853.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_3854.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_3855.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/IMG_3856.JPG

Back