Reef nutrition

How do you clean a saw blade after cutting acrylic?

Does anyone have any good tips on cleaning a saw blade that's been used to cut acrylic? My 10" fine tooth table saw blade is a little gunked up from the last time I cut acrylic and I need to clean it up before cutting some more acrylic but I'm sure my cuts will turn out better if I clean it first. I'll try sending some softer wood through which might help.

it should be fine, Gen doesn't clean his blades between cutting acrylic. If acrylic is getting in there then it is getting to hot when you cut it. keep that in mind.

Spray some wd40 or silicone lube on the blade and it will keep it from sticking as much.
Is it a carbide blade for cutting acrylic?
Other blades will heat up and get sticky.

It must have gotten too hot last time I used it (maybe 3 years ago when I set up my son's tank) so I cleaned the surface with a razor blade and knocked out some of the material between the teeth and it is cutting fine now. I don't remember if it's carbide or not since I bought it a long time ago. Thanks.

If it's plastic you can get away with a solvent to clean. Basically dissolve the material, hit with a wire brush. Watch the tips.

houser said:
If it's plastic you can get away with a solvent to clean. Basically dissolve the material, hit with a wire brush. Watch the tips.

Or hit it with a torch if you want to spice things up (do it outside)

I never clean mine for the most part but if I get the hankering, I run some wood through it. Just a little pine with take off the extra plastic.

Back