Neptune Aquatics

How to keep cat away from my house?

We hate cats. The house across from me has a shit load of them. Does anyone have any idea how to keep them away from my house? In VN, this would be free meal..

Are they strays or pets? My father in law had issues with that. Cats loved to crap on his lawn. He eventually got some humane traps and made frequent trips to the local pound/shelter etc.

My sister used some really sticky glue like stuff used to repel pigeons.
The cats used to walk on top of the fence to get in her yard where she put it.
They hate that stuff.
She said is was hilarious to watch the first time a cat walked on it.

Get one real big mean cat, works for me.

You may not like cats, but when you see your big ugly humane society score rip those little popcorn cats to shreds it will warm your heart.

If it's a matter of them crapping in unwanted places when the rain stopps get a couple of huge bottles of ceyenne pepper from Costco and sprinkle the areas that they frequent.

-Gregory

+1 on cayenne pepper if it's a crapping issue. If its just them hanging out on your property, get one of those "water blaster" attachments for a hose (for washing houses/cars/etc) and just squirt them every time you see them.

I had the same problem with my neighbors cat- easy solution was the sensing sprinkler:
http://www.amazon.com/Contech-Electronics-CRO101-Scarecrow-Motion-Activated/dp/B000071NUS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1299954942&sr=8-2
it works great, is pretty cheap and the cats will learn to keep off of your lawn. Keep in mind it also works on humans- I've got sprinkled a couple times myself. :D

The problem is they only come at night time and poop all over the yard. Forget the BB gun, I throw a freaking rock at them if I see them J) . I will try the pepper method. Auto sprinkler won't work for me because it's next to my walk way. I don't want to get spray at everytime I enter my house :) .. thanks guys..

Elite said:
We hate cats. The house across from me has a shit load of them. Does anyone have any idea how to keep them away from my house? In VN, this would be free meal..

haha.. i was just alking to my co-worker about cats.. he was so excited/happy that there alot of cats that visits his back yard everday. So he feeds them..DAILY!!! haha. he live in san jose somewhere, he could be your neighbor.

You actually need to be pretty careful in these situations. My father is now a convicted felon because he shot a cat.

He rented out a house on his property in rural WA state, the tenants put out food to attract wildlife, and a feral tomcat showed up. My dad had just purchased two kittens for mouse control, and they lived in his garage. The feral tomcat came next door and claimed the garage, killed one of the kittens and tore an ear off the other. My dad went to talk to the neighbors and they claimed ownership of the cat, so he gave them written notice to keep it on their property, and being my dad of course he told them "If it's in my garage again I will shoot it."

A few nights later of course it showed up to finish off the other kitten, so he shot it with a 12ga, but since it was running it wasn't a clean shot. It ran into the brush, the neighbors called the cops, cops showed up, arrested my dad for animal cruelty. They said that he should have made every effort to find it and put it out of it's misery quickly, it did eventually die from the wound but took a long time and was crying from somewhere in the brush while the cops were on scene. It's not very feasable to chase a cat through thick WA State brush on property as steep as my dad's place, especially in the dark. The cop also admitted in court that he would not have been able to find the exact location of the cat, but could only hear that it was in pain.

Long story short, 60 days in jail, felony conviction, and all the BS that goes with that. We live in a sick world, the tenants had no vet paperwork or anything but were able to claim that it was their "pet" that they cared deeply about and were horribly traumatized by the experience. Nevermind that it was shot IN my father's garage, caught in the act of trying to kill an actual pet, and after written notice that it needed to be controlled was given.

Be careful what you do, it's not worth ending up in jail for a stray cat.

I hate cats that poop on my property. I hate the smell and I hate cleaning it up. Irresponsible owners should be fined and made to cleanup the poop.

There. I feel better.

I'll be with you in spirit Phong.

There is really only one way to deal with the problem.
Buy a specific cat/racoon trap, catch them, and take them to local animal control or animal shelter.
Wear welding gloves!

Shooting/rocks/etc will just get you in a legal mess.
Or worse, if you shoot someones beloved pet, you never know.
And really - it is not the cats fault. They are a wild animal. It is the original owner.

In case they are a real pet, they will be returned to owner.
And owner will possibly be more responsible in the future, especially if there is a fee involved,
and especially if you keep catching their cat repeatedly. :)

There is a chance they will be adopted, especially if stray, not feral.

Otherwise, they will most likely be euthanized humanely.

Eventhough I really want to hit them with a rock but never did (bad throw LOL).. City doesn't provide free trap any more. They also want $25 for each cat we give to them now |( .... The guy who stay right behind her house trap about 25 cats and gave to the city when they were still free. The cats are not really hers but she keeps feeding them so they keep coming more and more.

http://www.alleycat.org/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?pid=375&gclid=CPvFxY_py6cCFR9Ngwod7nrrBg

http://www.amazon.com/Contech-CatStop-Ultrasonic-Outdoor-Deterrent/dp/B0001A9TE2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300029512&sr=8-1

The chemical repellents seem to have poor reviews.

The ultrasonic ones, a bit better. Maybe some issues with Made in China electronics.

Wonder if there are any electronics types in BAR that could design one :D

Back