High Tide Aquatics

IM 24L White background...thoughts?

Hi all

Just wanted some feedback on the IM 24 tank that I am seeing on CL with a white background. I like that its 36 long, but seems a little cramped otherwise. I believe this is an older model, I dont see it on IM website anymore. Ideally would love a 30L but 24 might be ok for the price, including skimmer etc light etc.

If I get it, Ill put the spin streams on, and get rid of my nuvo 20. I like the length of 36 inches. that is appealing.

Also I have never seen a tank with a white background. Any thoughts about this? I wonder if this is paintable?

Any feedback would be great!
Thanks
Arvind

White background has two issues, first it will grow algae faster simply put light will reflect off it and allow algae to get two sides of light on it = faster growth that is until it gets completed covered in algae (whether coraline or green) in which case second, you need to keep the back clean if you want to still have that white look.

so painting it would be way to go. I wonder if there is nice blue laminate sheets I can adhere to it? I always liked a blue background for some reason.
that should help with the algae.... Im guessing keeping it white will mean more maintenance. I would also stick with my black sand with the white background. If I go blue, Ill get white sand or substrate

Thanks Bruce. Good to know. Ad says no issues but its a risk I guess.
Would hate to set it up and have it leak. what a disaster

so painting it would be way to go. I wonder if there is nice blue laminate sheets I can adhere to it? I always liked a blue background for some reason.
that should help with the algae.... Im guessing keeping it white will mean more maintenance. I would also stick with my black sand with the white background. If I go blue, Ill get white sand or substrate
I wouldn't paint anything that goes into the tank. I know there are people who swear by Krylon Fusion paint, but I dunno... You can get just about any color acrylic or pvc sheet that is opaque though if you want to cover it, you don't even need material that thick either. Not sure of the dimensions of the tank, but a quick look at Tap Plastics' site shows a 24" x 12" of 1/8 black is only $14.30 so you can definitely get something to cover up the white if you want for not too much money

Thanks Mike! Im getting concerned that this type of tank has had issue with failing in the past with thin glass. Its a discontinued model. For about 140 dollars more, I can get a new 30l so I am still mulling this over.
Also it has rounded edges?

I started with the ~20G IM tank (not the long version) of the same model and the white background was gorgeous. It will reflect a shimmering blue if you put bluish LEDs on it, which makes you think you are looking into the ocean. Algae was never a problem (you take your scraper and scrape above the rock level once a month, maybe). It's hard to scrape around the curved front corners and they might be scratched up as a result, so check for scratches. Innovative Marine's generic pumps are garbage so as long as you replace those everything else works well including their protein skimmers.

With the right lighting and frequent water changes nano tanks like this are great.

Back