Jestersix

Innovative Marine 112 INT build

Took a quick FTS shot under evening blues yesterday and can easily see the changes! I’ve been having some fluctuations in alk consumption lately but have just been adjusting dosing as needed once maybe twice every week or 2. Coraline growth has really taken off after appearing a month after setup so I’m sure that’s part of it.

Having set this tank up and stocked it so quickly from the 2 tanks I broke down has been a very different experience from the 3 prior tanks. There is a “feel” to it that’s different as I watch it progress. Coral growth is also much faster for most. SPS have been very hardy. You may notice the missing long tentacle plate coral. Sadly that guy just melted in about 36 hrs. I hope to try another in the future. Anyhow, enough talk here’s the pic.

D65CDAF1-9871-46B0-997F-2BF0D24AF2DD.jpeg

Can someone please let me know what the shroom is called in the center of the next pic? My 2 have become 6 and I need to share some frags.

7B51AD54-CB3C-47FA-88F1-9A21B2691CBF.jpeg

Ok time for an update. I installed the MP40’s last Thursday on the left side using reef crest 70% with the rear being antisync. So far I think I like them a bit better than the 4 Icecap 2k’s.

Pros so far are…
* The fish are using more of the water column
* Skimmer went a bit nuts as detritus was kicked up that wasn’t moving before
* Some coral seem happier
* Better view from the right side and these pumps are less noticeable from my main viewing angle

Cons are…
* Not as much surface agitation
* Some coral not quite as happy. I’ll need to move some around due to a bit too much flow against the right side glass

Once the Icecaps are done with a good clean I’m going to add at least one back that will point from the rear right to the front left. Long pulse maybe. Vertical vs horizontal orientation. I’m hoping this will give a bit more chaos to the overall flow pattern and more surface agitation.

Thoughts?

Just for good gas exchange
I’ve always ran a gyre near the top for that same reason. When I setup the most recent tank I figured that plenty of gas exchange happens from the overflow to sump alone, plus the skimmer. I’ve had no problems these past about 6-7 months. So the surface agitation from power heads or gyres are not completely necessary IMO, unless maybe running an AIO.

I will agree with the use of a skimmer as the main point of gas exchange.
the pollut that a skimmer collects can be diluted via water changes
but the oxygenation that occurs within the skimmer body is not easily achieved elsewhere.
purely anecdotal but my methods ain’t broke…

I’m currently running with just MP40s and no skimmer. I use my return outlets to provide a decent amount of agitation to the surface. But I also run a frag compartment in the sump and a fuge with chaeto opposite the DT lights. Seems gas exchange is okay based on pH of tank. A lot probably plays into it, but bioload (both corals & fish) probably is a pretty big factor in it.

C07AE697-8B96-46CD-B13F-A4FB76E3BB52.png

Last edited:
I will agree with the use of a skimmer as the main point of gas exchange.
the pollut that a skimmer collects can be diluted via water changes
but the oxygenation that occurs within the skimmer body is not easily achieved elsewhere.
purely anecdotal but my methods ain’t broke…
I suppose with the skimmer and the coast to coast overflow it’s not strictly necessary but it can’t hurt to have more agitation than I do either. If it’s all in my head then so be it. It does make me feel better seeing that movement.

I spent a nice afternoon at @Kensington Reefer ’s place today talking reefing, checking out his softie collection, and seeing some fish old enough to be human adults. I could swear some of the tanks had drivers licenses suction cupped to the front! Not under oath tho! ;)Thanks for hosting me Erin!

Walked away with a stunning Jawbreaker that isn’t close to showing off it’s full glory yet. This coral is one of the few that caused me to jump in to reefing and I’m very grateful to have such a nice one in my tank.

CCCD83D7-C9A6-403B-A4E3-86E09F70C568.jpeg

After meeting with Erin I drove over to High Tide and saw @Srt4eric visiting and of course @under_water_ninja. Great time seeing both of them. Some beautiful changes to the main display out front and as usual a fantastic collection of coral and fish. Kenny has 4 Copperbands in QT right now all eating frozen mysis. If you’re looking for one hit him up as they’ll be done with QT not long from now. Walked away with a couple very cool sps with great color potential.

052803B8-5BF9-410D-B4D2-ABB3795F8B80.jpeg
7E092AEE-A21A-478B-8038-F5A01EECADDF.jpeg

Sad day. Looks like this tank is going to have to go. Electrical usage, shared PG&E, landlord, yada yada.

Either that or I need to find an in-law cottage that allows tanks, has an industrial solar farm, and a reefer landlord.
Can you run it off a kill-a-watt to measure how much it actually uses in a month then have them adjust the utility bill %?

Can you run it off a kill-a-watt to measure how much it actually uses in a month then have them adjust the utility bill %?
He provided me with a couple kill a watt units and they were on for about 30 hrs but this morning arbitrarily decided to make what I felt was an unacceptable demand. In that time they tallied about $175 a month in costs. It's just too much of a contentious issue so I decided to exit the hobby stage left.

What?? Obviously we don't know the whole situation but even if you're paying your portion the landlord doesn't like the power usage? That's a real bummer. What about downsizing?

Back