Kessil

Interested in Volunteering at Steinhart?

Matt_Wandell

Supporting Member
Honorary Supporting Member
Hello all,

BAR has helped us out tremendously in our recent opening process, from backbreaking labor to donations of some choice corals. We can't thank you enough for your generosity! Things have started to slow down for us here at the Academy and we're finally able to "catch our breath" and spend a bit more time doing the things we love, tending to our tanks!

We are always on the lookout for motivated volunteers with reefkeeping experience. Whether you are a hardcore SPS keeper or on your first year with a nano, we can use your help and time. There's a bit of hard work involved, but also some cool fringe benefits and learning experiences as well--watching baby cuttlefish grow up, feeding leafy sea dragons and giant octopuses, learning where to collect live mysis, and seeing how to clean a skimmer as big as my living room.

If you've got at least 3 hours a week to dedicate to dropping by and working for free, we'd love to hear from you. If you're interested in volunteering for the aquarium or have any other questions I can be reached at mwandell@calacademy.org or (415) 379 5444.

Cheers,
Matt Wandell
Aquatic Biologist
Steinhart Aquarium
California Academy of Sciences

What hours of the day/night would you need volunteers?
Or should I say what hours are possible...6am? 10pm??
9-5?

I sent you a email Matt, I would love to volunteer again and I already went through the interview process a while back : )

Rich works Sun to Thur, and I work Tue to Sat, so it may depend on what day you come in. But a volunteer for either one of us is like a volunteer for both of us since we always cover each other's backs, so I don't think we mind either way!

So it would be with either of you and not like, let's say Bart of Charles?

C'mon G man, you know all 4 of them are nuts! (in a good way of course) I think it would be fun to work any of that group. I say go for it, I really enjoyed my little stint over there.

Charles isn't here today, but I'll ask him tomorrow if he wants more.

Bart doesn't really have any volunteers in the sense you may be thinking, unless you want to do office type work. :)

No NO no if I did work, I'd want to under under one of you two.

I mean Charles and Bart are cool, but not as cool as you guys :lol:

If you are interested, shoot Matt or me an email (me = rross@calacademy.org).

If you want to be a diver, you need to talk to Dave and that will still take a while.

Rich has got a itchy trigger finger...watch out...it may only be bird shot in the sawed off, but it still hurts :lol:

Yeah! I got lots of volunteers from this thread! I ask, BAR produces, you guys rock. Thanks for the help guys, I am excited to start working with a bunch of new people...you know who you are...

Keep 'em coming...Charles Delbeek is looking for help if anyone is interested in learning straight from the source!

Ooo Ooo, I need some help too if anyone is interested in working with rhinopias, cuttlefish, orange spot file fish, corals, feeding a really really big tank and a big QT and holding room. :D

Back