High Tide Aquatics

iPhone Data Usage

I would call or something cause that doesn't seem right. It took me almost 2 years just to hit 10 gb and I am on my phone a lot watching movies streaming online a lot. I would call and see what's up.

Sounds like you left something on. Maybe an app in the background on repeat or something...

Or just AT&T being AT&T. Are you sure you're reading your data usage correctly? :)

iCon said:
Sounds like you left something on. Maybe an app in the background on repeat or something...

Or just AT&T being AT&T. Are you sure you're reading your data usage correctly? :)

I thought about this, but whenever I lock my phone I am sure I close whatever application I am using ... and even if an app is at fault ... 8GB overnight?

The new Windows 7 phones are guilty of sending and receiving "phantom" data packets that'll max out peoples plans...mebbie something simular here....

-Gregory

I had a similar question and the guy at the AT & T store gave me good advice, which is to make sure all apps are off, then turn them on 1 by 1 and check how much data each one uses. There's a code to enter to find that out, but I forget the #. It takes a bit of time but you'll know if something like facebook or wifi or something else is continually trasnmitting data unbenownst to you.

CookieJar said:
I had a similar question and the guy at the AT & T store gave me good advice, which is to make sure all apps are off, then turn them on 1 by 1 and check how much data each one uses. There's a code to enter to find that out, but I forget the #. It takes a bit of time but you'll know if something like facebook or wifi or something else is continually trasnmitting data unbenownst to you.

To turn an app off, I simply click the home button when I am done using it -this is the correct way of quitting an app, I assume?
I just realized my angry birds app uses data whenever I use it ... funny, because it never used to do that ...

GDawson said:
The new Windows 7 phones are guilty of sending and receiving "phantom" data packets that'll max out peoples plans...mebbie something simular here....

-Gregory

That's just shady. :(

Going to the home screen does not quit all apps. Also, you may want to look at your update settings for each app, you can turn off automatic searching.

Force Quitting To force an application to quit, Apple recommends that you bring the app you want to quit to the foreground. Then press and hold the sleep/wake button for several seconds, until the Slide to Power Off control appears. Release the sleep/wake button and hold down the Home button for another 7-10 seconds. Your screen will flash briefly and you will return to the main iOS 4 Springboard home page with its icons. This method works for all operating systems from iPhone OS 3 forward, and is the preferred method listed in the iOS 4 documentation.

Removing the Application from the Recents List There's actually a much simpler approach for quitting apps, and that's to use your recent app list. Double-click the home button to display the recently accessed applications. Press and hold any of the icons shown, then navigate to the application you want to quit and tap the red circled minus button. This sends a signal to the application in question that allows it to quit. The application will be re-added to the recents list the next time you launch it.

Also....

http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

h20player101 said:
Going to the home screen does not quit all apps. Also, you may want to look at your update settings for each app, you can turn off automatic searching.

Force Quitting To force an application to quit, Apple recommends that you bring the app you want to quit to the foreground. Then press and hold the sleep/wake button for several seconds, until the Slide to Power Off control appears. Release the sleep/wake button and hold down the Home button for another 7-10 seconds. Your screen will flash briefly and you will return to the main iOS 4 Springboard home page with its icons. This method works for all operating systems from iPhone OS 3 forward, and is the preferred method listed in the iOS 4 documentation.

Removing the Application from the Recents List There's actually a much simpler approach for quitting apps, and that's to use your recent app list. Double-click the home button to display the recently accessed applications. Press and hold any of the icons shown, then navigate to the application you want to quit and tap the red circled minus button. This sends a signal to the application in question that allows it to quit. The application will be re-added to the recents list the next time you launch it.

Also....

http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

Thanks, I saw the link :)
I don't have any applications set to push notifications or fetch data regularly, unless I prompt an app to do so.
I suppose I'm just majorly confused because this leap in my "data usage" happened over night.

iCon said:
Video replaying continuously... Not sure how on earth you would otherwise get to 8GB in a night.

Nope, video can't play if the phone goes into standby mode -and I clearly remember not streaming any videos that night :(

Call them up. That's a lot of data over the course of a night, unless they're billing a large chunk of it in arrears.

I'm on VZW unlimited and I have yet to top 3GB of usage on a monthly basis, while checking just about everything.

Yah I'm on VZW unlimited as well. I don't think I've topped 4gb and I do a LOT of online work on my phone now.

My friend is on my unlimited family plan and he doesn't have internet at home. He streams videos constantly. He tops out at 10 GB a month just for reference. There are phone viruses out there now that make your bill go up or someone could have hijacked your phone's IME or whatever it is or ATT just messed up like they always do.

Back