Our mission

Is this a coral?

I'm slightly confused about what this might be, it is white, sometimes it appears to have tiny polyps and it is encrusting over this ball shaped old coral skeleton.

What do you think it is? (the white between the feather dusters)

IMG_0633.jpg

IMG_0635.jpg

BAYMAC said:
Yes, Porites sp.

If you see Christmas Tree Worms, rest assured the associated coral is Porites

Hey buddy, you are just full of knowledge, seems you have answers to all the questions whenever I come up with them :)

So these guys are pretty unique, someone gave me this rock thinking it's just a rock with some algae on it but I kept it and took care of it because I was fascinated by the Christmas Tree Worms (I absolutely love the colors and behavior) I am glad you pointed out the name.

I am reading on the net that these guys are hard to keep alive, not that I should do anything different since the porites is recovering and coming back to life in my tank (when I brought it home there was no white on the rock, just xmas trees & algae) so should I do anything specific to keep these guys happy? I've left the algae on there and currently they're at the bottom of my tank under T5/HQI MH lighting with moderate flow, I don't feed them anything other than what's floating around in the tank.

Thanks again :bigsmile:

It's a pretty hardy SPS, it likes bright light, in my experience, and a lot of water motion. But in the case of a bleached and recovering one like yours I wouldn't move it to bright light. Let it recover, move a frag to bright light, and it will probably turn yellow.

HiFidelity said:
BAYMAC said:
Yes, Porites sp.

If you see Christmas Tree Worms, rest assured the associated coral is Porites.

Hey buddy, you are just full of knowledge, seems you have answers to all the questions whenever I come up with them :)

So these guys are pretty unique, someone gave me this rock thinking it's just a rock with some algae on it but I kept it and took care of it because I was fascinated by the Christmas Tree Worms (I absolutely love the colors and behavior) I am glad you pointed out the name.

I am reading on the net that these guys are hard to keep alive, not that I should do anything different since the porites is recovering and coming back to life in my tank (when I brought it home there was no white on the rock, just xmas trees & algae) so should I do anything specific to keep these guys happy? I've left the algae on there and currently they're at the bottom of my tank under T5/HQI MH lighting with moderate flow, I don't feed them anything other than what's floating around in the tank.

Thanks again :bigsmile:

Yah, I'm full of it... knowledge some say :lol: One of the pulls of the hobby for me was all that needs to be learned, and the fact you'll never stop learning.

More below....

anathema said:
It's a pretty hardy SPS, it likes bright light, in my experience, and a lot of water motion. But in the case of a bleached and recovering one like yours I wouldn't move it to bright light. Let it recover, move a frag to bright light, and it will probably turn yellow.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What he said :) They tend to grow in more "surgy" areas, even quite often being exposed at low tide. Pretty damn hardy coral, in fact, my porites
survived every single tank issue I had for 10+ years, and now it lives in another tank and is thriving. It'll turn yellow or green on yah most likely.

I should mention my lone Christmas tree worm on the porites
has survived the entire time as well.

The worms would benefit from some feedings of phyto or other small feeds. They also will not live with out the porites so don't treat it too bad :D

Back