Jestersix

Is this Red Planaria?

The guy just in the center of the photo.
2011-02-24112348.jpg

Wait - you didn't have them with LED's. So that means MH must promote them :D
You just read it on the internet - so it's true.

I would ignore them, they aren't a big deal. If you get more than you like, siphon them out with WC's and eventually they will fade away to not even noticeable.

Patience will save you money in this hobby.

The Chemical police is going to scream but so be it :D

I used levamisol, got rid of all of them last year and have not seen one since. This chemical is pretty strong so make sure to use tons of carbon and big water changes to dilute it when you are done. I use FWE as part of my dipping process to make sure I don't get them again.

Hate to be the one dissenting opinion but those don't look like red planaria to me. Not at least the nasty type that are a problem. From what I understand, the problematic ones look like this:

15068d1240176993-red-sps-bugs-red-planaria-8640.jpg

And are rather large.

That little one in your pic are, from my experience, small and harmless. They bloom with a large pod population and you can see them going after pods on the glass... kind of interesting, actually. They can be quick when they want.

I guess you may just want to wait to see if they're truly a problem before going all Chemical Ali on the tank.

If it were me I'd nuke them with FWE- especially since your tank is small, 1 box will have enough for multiple doses. They are harmless but can be an eyesore.

Well, I don't know how big the one in your picture is, but the one I have here is about 1 mm to 2 mm long and does crawl pretty fast for a tiny thing.
Not too many around that I can see.

robert at one point my frag tank rack looked like it was crawling,LOL... i did a ton of water changes into a filter sock rinse then repeat and in about 3 weeks i had 80-90% of it tackled and i am now 99% free..... so yes even in a big tank with alot of them you can get them with a lil elbow grease but FWE is the last form of attack and if thats all you have pull the frags dip them real good and go back in....

ime (lil) its not easy but easy to do,LOL im so dont make sense no mas!!!

+1 what people said about siphoning into a filter sock or with water changes.

Manual removal and clean water. Super easy.

No need for the big guns. Especially for just a few.

I got these guys and I'm picking up 6 line to take care of it. I heard blue damsel will eat them too, it cost $2 vs $25 for 6 line in my LFS, so I may give him a shot before wrasse?

houser said:
Wait - you didn't have them with LED's. So that means MH must promote them :D
You just read it on the internet - so it's true.

lol you know what I've never seen them in my LED tank. Once I started moving frags over the the MH tank they're all over the place now.

I had an oceanic 14G nano next to a JBJ 12G on my dresser in my room for a year. The JBJ tank was FULL of them, and the Oceanic never had any visible. I swapped corals back and forth regularly, and moved rocks back and forth. Any flatworms in the Oceanic nano faded away and died.

I used this experience to develop the theory that Oceanic tanks actually use LED bulbs that look exactly like PC bulbs, therefore they won't grow flatworms.

Back