Neptune Aquatics

K1, or K2

Hey all, I'm wondering what pump you might recommend for a 24g aquapod. I swapped the stock return pump for an MJ1200. Right now I have a K1 in the tank, but I feel like it may not be enough. The tank will be for nothing but BTA's and two ocellaris. I have a K2 sitting around not doing anything, but I am not sure if that would be too much. Also the K2 is physically larger than the K1.

haha, that's a good point Erick :D I suppose I just like to see things move in my tank :) I also want to be sure there is enough current to keep as much detritus as I can from settling on the rocks. One thing I don't like the thought of however, is that I cannot BTA-proof the Koralia. In their current tank, I have a filter sponge over the maxi-jet :(

Right now I only have a K nano (till next week ;)) but my frogspawn has a small sway to it and it's base is blocked by rocks. As for the stuff on the rocks, I use a turkey baster right before water changes to kick up whatever settles on them then do the water change and suck some of it up.

Thanks for the thought Phong :) I have both a used K1, and K2, and am debating which one too use ... just wasn't sure if the K2 would be too overwhelming. I was beginning to suspect the K1 is not strong enough.

I just put a K4 in my 36g and it is just right. Not much can be right in front of it around the back of the tank, but who's looking? There are two K1's blowing side to side and then the return, facing the K4. Not sure if any flow will every keep debris off the rocks. I too baste and siphon once a week.

Jeremy, I am sure a K3 will be a little overwhelming for my simple little BTA's :) I just put in the K2, and I'm digging it so far :)

A_Lee, how is the K2 working out?

I just did the same thing this weekend with my Red Sea Max (34 gal). I put a K2 opposite the 2 stock pumps and nearly blew everything away. I downgraded to the K1 and everything seems much happier.

I have not moved my BTA's in yet, so kind of difficult to tell right now. But by just using my eyes, the K2 works brilliantly. My Aqua-pod only has one return pump, and I have the K2 positioned on the other side of tank pointing towards it. I am liking it so far :) I know a K1 definitely was not enough for my tank though.

Art,

I am quite sure a K3 would be similar to hurricane status in my little 24 :) Vortech's are mighty cool for what they are, but the budget doesn't allow for it, really :)

K1 and K Nano in my tank right now, I have the nano under the return (hydor flo water deflector) it is pointed downish, I have the K1 on the other side pointed upish, it seems to be pretty good in there now. I think I still need to play with angles though.

Back