Jestersix

Key Chains with Live Fish and Turtles

This is just wrong.

http://reeftools.com/news/key-chains-with-live-fish-and-turtles-terrible/

Here is the begining of the article.....

Key Chains with Live Fish and Turtles. Terrible!
Posted on Saturday, April 9th, 2011 at 6:31 pm by ReefTools

According to the Global Times, a popular trend in China is the sale of keychains featuring live animals. The poor animals, are sealed up in an airtight plastic container and are sold as Trinkets. ......

Wow!!!!! I have turtles and that's just plain cruel. The people that have the heart to do this should be put in a bag of water with no oxygen so they can see what it feels like. Dirt bags.

Really sad to see this is still around. The was a big uproar about these items a few years back, but clearly that "roar" was something more akin to the meek meow of a tiny kitten on the side of a roacd during rush hour. Aside from the cruelty slant (who wouldn't love to be encased in their own bath of "nutrient water" ... sometimes even dyed into a pretty color!!!), the really sad part is that the kids to whom these things are marketed come to look at living items as novelties that are tossed asided when they die, or become boring (if they shoulc last that long) ... ;(

Sad that our tanks are pretty much the same. Better conditions but still captivity for animals that can't be domesticated and serve no purpose, except to amuse the master.

zepplock said:
Sad that our tanks are pretty much the same. Better conditions but still captivity for animals that can't be domesticated and serve no purpose, except to amuse the master.

Speaking of amusement, your signature always makes me chuckle. :)

I've attempted to justify reefkeeping on grounds other than selfishness, but have never been successful. That said, the difference is that the majority of hobbyists strive to maintain an environment for the creatures in our care that is not only habitable, but enables them to thrive! On the other hand, sealing an animal in a trinket is sending it to its tomb.

This isn't just the result of a cultural difference. I've met a few aquatic hobbyists in trips to China, and they would also be abhorred by this practice. I attribute this largely to lack of awareness when it comes to the treatment of animals and the socioeconomic conditions that cause a small portion of the population to resort to almost anything to be able to feed their family.

Back