got ethical husbandry?

LED Par Light

This weekend I am plumbing in my 20G Long and 29G tanks into my 125G+44G sump system. The latter system has been up for almost a year. I need lights for the two smaller tanks (the 20G Long and 29G). The 20G will be my cuttlefish nursery/rearing tank. It will have only sand and some macro algae. The 29G will be for my 2 mating clowns. I was thinking about putting an RBTA in there, but that's it. I have a BOOSTLED PAR38 bulb in my refugium (10 Watt, 60 degree, All White). IT seems to grow the algae (Chaeto) just fine (as well as coraline algae on my rock rubble).

For the 29G: I am thinking about one RapidLED 12 LED PAR38 Bulb (Mixed Color with UV) (19W)

For the 20G Long: I am thinking about one RapidLED 7 LED PAR38 Bulb (All White LEDs) (17W)

Does anyone have experience with these PAR38s over smaller tanks? I have two main questions. Is this enough light/too much light? (I know there are cheaper ones). What optics should I chose? These bulbs will be less than 10" above the tanks. I was thinking 60 degree as spot light for the RTBA and 80 degree for the 20G Long.

You might splurg for the nice color LED over your RBTA, however for the fuge you can get an 18w LED bulb from Home Depot for about 25-30bucks. I have two over my fuge and they are awesome! 5000K ish if I recall and the Macro Algae loves em. Saves a little cash anyway.

Have you consulted RapidLED? I've gotten fast replies from Mike when emailing staff@rapidcoral.com. They should be able to provide some guidance on light selection. :) I seem to remember that they have a generous exchange policy if what you buy doesn't quite work out.

I have one of their 19W, mixed colo,r 80 deg optics, PAR38 hanging 8" over a 24" x 18" x 18" tank. Judging by eye, the spread covers most of the tank except the last 4" to 6" of the edges of the length. It is difficult to escape the spotlight effect, the center is definitely brightest. No PAR meter to take measurements, and no corals or anemones as of yet until the nitrates come down. I can attest that it grows chaeto and other macroalgaes, though. :p

In fact you can see the spotlight effect in this photo. Again dimensions are 24" x 18" x 18", 80 degree optics 8" from water surface.
IMG_2381Medium.jpg

Back