Cali Kid Corals

lighting for my 75g tank

i was thinking about getting some ballasts for my lighting setup for my 75g tank since it is almost done with...i currently have an icecap 660 in which i was planning on using to run 2 VHO actinic bulbs...just wanted to know from those who have experience with these ballasts or heard good things about them and which one you would choose ??? should i go with 2 250w halides with 2 VHOs or get another icecap 660 and run a 6 bulb t5 configuration with individual reflectors?

[quote author=tuberider link=topic=3835.msg44784#msg44784 date=1212697475]
I'd go with two 250w on Icecaps, and use the 660 for VHO.
[/quote]

i just wanted to know which ballast is better and lasts longer without any problems...the icecaps are like 30 bucks more than the AROs but i rather spend that extra 30 if the icecaps are better and more reliable

Ice cap. I have two 150's over my tank. When I first bought them, one of the ballasts was DOA. I emailed IC, sent the ballast in, and had a new one in about 2 days. Great customer service.

B

Also if you want single ended bulbs or double ended bulbs that should probably affect your choice as well. Read a thread over on RC and a conclusion reached is the high frequency switching of electronic ballasts cause DE bulbs to lose their intensity significantly over time, compared to HQI M80 ballasts.

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=3835.msg45053#msg45053 date=1213020587]
Also if you want single ended bulbs or double ended bulbs that should probably affect your choice as well. Read a thread over on RC and a conclusion reached is the high frequency switching of electronic ballasts cause DE bulbs to lose their intensity significantly over time, compared to HQI M80 ballasts.

[/quote]

yea i actually wanted to run SE bulbs instead of DE bulbs because its much more easier to mount inside my canopy...i also read that SE bulbs has a little bit more intensity than DE bulbs and is a tad bit more efficient? also i dont wanna use a UV filter

[quote author=bigdeeezy link=topic=3835.msg45107#msg45107 date=1213037941]
[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=3835.msg45053#msg45053 date=1213020587]

[/quote]

yea i actually wanted to run SE bulbs instead of DE bulbs because its much more easier to mount inside my canopy...i also read that SE bulbs has a little bit more intensity than DE bulbs and is a tad bit more efficient? also i dont wanna use a UV filter
[/quote]SE bulbs aren't as intense as DE due to the DE bulbs being overdriven a 150w DE is actually running near 200w on an "HQI" ballast. So in general it's watt for watt. But as you said you need a UV filter for the DEs which cuts down on PAR, as well as two ends of the DE bulb are not producing light as opposed to only one with the SE.

Back