got ethical husbandry?

Limited Edition really doesn't mean much anymore does it?

sfsuphysics

Supporting Member
Kind of like cars that are "Limited edition" ..

http://www.pacificeastaquaculture.com/ShowProductCategory.aspx?CategoryId=2

Who knew I had so many limited edition corals at one time! :D

Hell I can toss 20k bulbs + actinics over a tank then hit a good white balance to make it not look overblue while letting the colors continue to pop as well :D

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=2514.msg25918#msg25918 date=1192826915]
Hell I can toss 20k bulbs + actinics over a tank then hit a good white balance to make it not look overblue while letting the colors continue to pop as well :D

[/quote]

Don't forget to make the shot a close up! Who cares what it looks like from 3 feet away, I like to look at corals from the distance of an inch!

I like my fresh outta the ocean mariculture LE's. I know it will hold its color, and be hardy, plus I'm sure I'll be the only one with it!!

anything at 1:1 or better magnification on pictures makes it look amazing =)

Usually LE pieces look pretty darn good, which is why people like them, but there are so many pieces coming out these days that are at least as cool or MUCH cooler that don't have names. I think we'll move away from limited edition types of corals in the near future at this rate.

It feels like after the LE's sorta fell, the deepwater came in, then the "Japanese", and now the "AUSSIE" name came. Just some once over observations I guess.

LE used to mean that the coral had been around for a while and had been propagated in captivity, making it a better choice than wild caught (the color was 'set' and it was acclimated to captivity). Now, LE is just getting tossed onto coral as a marketing tool. Sad really. Captive lineage is useful and important - its always tough to watch the hobby eat itself.

[quote author=Thales link=topic=2514.msg25932#msg25932 date=1192892324]
LE used to mean that the coral had been around for a while and had been propagated in captivity, making it a better choice than wild caught (the color was 'set' and it was acclimated to captivity).[/quote]

DBTC is the new LE :D

LE is definitely overrated. We just need to keep passing the corals along through trades, fragswaps, and etc. Once it's out there enough, people won't really think LE means anything and hopefully it'll phase out... I prefer items with people's names more than LE :p The people's names just help to distinguish them from other similar pieces.

[quote author=kinetic link=topic=2514.msg25930#msg25930 date=1192865615]

Usually LE pieces look pretty darn good, which is why people like them, but there are so many pieces coming out these days that are at least as cool or MUCH cooler that don't have names. I think we'll move away from limited edition types of corals in the near future at this rate.

It feels like after the LE's sorta fell, the deepwater came in, then the "Japanese", and now the "AUSSIE" name came. Just some once over observations I guess.

[/quote]

Deepwater has been sought after longer then LE's have been on the scene oh young reefer :)

A lot of people critizing Steve Tyree for his LE stuff, but yet a lot of people jump to the band wagon. I respect what he is trying to acomplish and all of his stuff are grown in the tank.
The worst in my opinion are those online chop shops. They go to wholeseller, look for nice coral but in the mindset to chop it off and make a quick return. They will call anything rare, LE, etc. I read an article in the latest Coral magazine for a propagator in German. He did get wild colony to add to his collection, but he won't start fragging until the coral stay in his tank for 1 year.

Usually LE pieces look pretty darn good, which is why people like them, but there are so many pieces coming out these days that are at least as cool or MUCH cooler that don't have names. [/quote]

Really, all I see is boring corals these days , at least in the stores. The only exception are these Aussie acan corals.

[quote author=tacocat link=topic=2514.msg26046#msg26046 date=1193358058]

Usually LE pieces look pretty darn good, which is why people like them, but there are so many pieces coming out these days that are at least as cool or MUCH cooler that don't have names. [/quote]

Really, all I see is boring corals these days , at least in the stores. The only exception are these Aussie acan corals.
[/quote]

We call your type "salty reefers" :D (don't worry, I'm one as well).

Back