Cali Kid Corals

List of BAR corals

kvosstra

Supporting Member
So, The Oct. 10 meeting got me thinking about the corals I have, as well as the colors - and I started to try to put together how I will re-do my tank with proper color combinations - (using 3 colors on the color wheel, etc.)

After looking through my corals, I realized that I have lots of green, blue, and redish corals, but little in the way of, for instance, yellow. But, I know that there are yellow corals out there, and thought that maybe I could trade or DBTC for such coral so that when I arrange my tank, I could plan for a spot for a certain color and shape coral...

So, I'm proposing that our group puts together something like a coral database, with the coral name, color, growing pattern, etc. Then, as people have an interest in such coral, they can trade, buy or DBTC such coral as needed. (I'm useless with database creation - so I cant do the heaving lifting on such an idea, unfortunately).

So, is this an idea that people would be intersted in - could we do this in the group? can it be done with an excel file that can be downloaded, or do we need something more substantial - could we use something like the frags.org page instead?

Just some thoughts

Way to volunteer for the job! :D

IME yellow corals have been faded brown or green, and/or turn into those colors. I've seen pictures of yellow corals myself too, however not heard too many long term success stories as to keeping them those yellow colors though, very touchy as far as light goes I'm guessing.

Anyways, WIBGI thread if I never saw one! :D

Plenty of yellow sponge, spongodes as well (yellowish color), Ill have to look for the porites.
Obviously, there are yellow cup coral, yellowish zoanthids, probably a yellow sun coral...

You guys are missing one key yellow coral. Pink Lemonade when in ideal conditions is definitely yellow.

Iani - I have to disagree with the pink lemonade - While the base is certainly a beautiful yellow, its a pretty hairy coral, and in my tank, appears to be much more pinkish. The tips are certainly yellow under high light, but I find that they are more green under lower light. I have a huge colony of this, so I certainly wish that it appeared more yellow! Maybe I need to get some angels in the tank, to make sure the polyps are not out so much! LOL! My tanks all seem to have very strong polyp extension - I think due to them lacking any coral nibbling fish.

kvosstra said:
Iani - I have to disagree with the pink lemonade - While the base is certainly a beautiful yellow, its a pretty hairy coral, and in my tank, appears to be much more pinkish. The tips are certainly yellow under high light, but I find that they are more green under lower light. I have a huge colony of this, so I certainly wish that it appeared more yellow! Maybe I need to get some angels in the tank, to make sure the polyps are not out so much! LOL! My tanks all seem to have very strong polyp extension - I think due to them lacking any coral nibbling fish.

That is true the polyps are pretty hairy, however it still looks pretty pink in my tank. Colors do vary between tanks though. Other yellow coral that I have include a yellow plate and a gold/yellow acan that is in dbtc.

iani said:
kvosstra said:

That is true the polyps are pretty hairy, however it still looks pretty pink in my tank. Colors do vary between tanks though. Other yellow coral that I have include a yellow plate and a gold/yellow acan that is in dbtc.

SaturnPlateYellow.jpg

Yellow plate

Fungia-fragilis1.jpg

Yellow Fungia :p

A database of all the corals and their colors would be neat. I could see a fairly simple profiler running off of photos of each picture, and storing the images in a db. All you do is take a picture of your coral, or search for it in the db, and doing some distributed / parallel computing (to make it fast) it can match / recommend what other corals would complete a triad for you.

It will have to match things up using colors from images by sampling each image initially to get some rgb or hex representation of the color. Then using a simple color wheel we could definitely do it.

Think of it as a very simple pharmaceutical drug matcher (which is no simple task by any means). When creating a new drug, you put in the symptoms and machines crank away to see what drugs put together will yield the best result, taking into account side effects and altercations with each other.

Would be a fun algorithm for someone to work on (1 2 3 not me). Maybe me if I end up with more time. I'd also love to get in on dev on the DBTC. I have some fun ideas for that too.

But yeah, just think about it:

You plug in your coral name, if it's already in the database, it'll return an array of compatible corals, show you if we have DBTC's setup for them or not, and maybe even list a few sources of where to find them.

Would be neat to scrape the forums to also search for relevant discussion about each coral. Lots of work for coolness factor? Worth it probably =)

It probably isn't terribly hard to incorporate color into the DBTC database...but it more than input work. It is back-end coding work. We currently have a lot of other items on the plate which would take priority. Erin right now is our only coder who is very limited on time so if anyone here who wants to see this happen is computer savy in whatever language the database is written and compiled...

Did I hear webmaster to accompany the webmistress?

Anyone have a yellow tenuis? I had one while in LA - I called it the hairy yellow highlighter...the polyps were huge! And it was neon yellow. Ill have to search RC to see if I have a photo of it on there.

But yes, the point of the post was not just to pimp my tank - but providing a database to help people locate a coral of particular color, growth pattern, whether it is DBTC, etc. This would also be a neat exercise to see all the corals in the SF bay area!

Back