got ethical husbandry?

Live Sand Question

CaribSea Arag-Alive/dry is pretty white. It doesn't look too white when dry but when you fill up the water, it's pretty white. If you buy dry, rinse the hell out of it. Livesand you don't have to rinse and it settle down much faster than dry sand, IMO..

The bucket you picked up from me back in Dec is Aragalive Special Grade Reef San, it looks pretty white in color underwater if you decide to use it.

This is what my dry sand look like when dry :eek:
tank2be3.jpg

It's actually white when I fill it up with water...

[quote author=mckevinfang link=topic=5836.msg73127#msg73127 date=1231315407]
what is the whitest live sand i can buy at a LFS?? and how much should i add into the BC14??
[/quote]

Someone once told me and/or I read to add an inch (about a lb/gal.) for aesthetics and 4 inches for nitrifying capabilites. In a small tank, you might want to go with what looks good. I have about an inch or less in the bottom of my 12 gal.

so i decided to take about 5-7lbs of Live Sand I got from the last Dec. BAR meeting and mix it in with 10lbs of my Live Sand from my other Biocube.

I have a bunch of onyx nass snails I've been told that sand shifting gobys do a great job at keeping the sand bed spotless but can i keep one in a 14 gallon biocube?

thanks for all the advice guys ;D ;D

Do you mean Firefish (Nemateleotris magnifica)? I believe the Firefish is considered a Dartfish and not a goby. Both the Firefish and Orange Spotted Goby are peaceful and should not bother each other. IMO...

yeah i have a purple firefish and i want a sand shifter I've heard the orange spotted goby was a good choice was i miss informed? if not ill go and get one today

If your wanting a goby to sift sand IMO the Diamond Watchman Goby is a better choice. The Orange Spot is rumored to take out small shrimp. I also think the Diamond Watchman looks cooler.

DR. foster and Smith says the min. tank size for a diamond goby is 50 gallons i only have a 14 gallon

do you think the orange spotted will take out my peppermint shirmp?

[quote author=mckevinfang link=topic=5836.msg73620#msg73620 date=1231536164]
DR. foster and Smith says the min. tank size for a diamond goby is 50 gallons i only have a 14 gallon

do you think the orange spotted will take out my peppermint shirmp?
[/quote]

woops... missed the 14 gallon part.

Probably not on the pepperment shrimp unless they are really small. I think it's like the sexy shrimp and bumblebee shrimp that they are more know for taking out.

http://liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1926+220&pcatid=220&N=0

Should work out just fine in your tank as long as you don't stock too many other fish and keep up with water quality issues. They usually take to prepare food (pellets/frozen) pretty quickly. All of mine have always liked to find a small hole/cave under the rocks to hide in at night, so try to keep that in account. But they do a great job keeping my sand beds clean.

i decided not to get it i got advice from I think his name is "Steve" from Lucky Ocean on Balboa in the City and he said their not really good for nanos they tend to drop sand on your corals and kills the corals and i dont want that happening so i just went with some Tongan Nass. snails

Good choice on the snails. I was going to suggest these, but in the wee hours of the morning, I couldn't remember what they were called. They are bulldozers though, really fun to watch!

thanks again guys for the help

1 more question what would be a good fish to add to this tank?

except for : Clowns (sad history with them) and docile fishes
what type of fish is active yet not aggressive or terriorial

*Currently have a purple firefish, peppermint shrimp and a pistol shrimp (from badbread but still have not seen or heard)*

Back