Neptune Aquatics

local fish shops with lots of salt critters near marin?

Hi all - I think I finally have my tank back under control after a large cyano issue.. it was plaguing my tank for months and I have been very busy and feeling so run down I didn't have a lot of energy for the tank.. I considered getting rid of it but lacked the energy to do that even.. lol.. Pretty pathetic I know, but it turns out I had a low level sinus infection for the last, 8 months probably, that and I wasn't getting enough sleep. So thanks to breathright strips and more sleep I am feeling so much better.. I finally got off my beehive and addressed the cyano... re-aquascaped opening the LR structure more, had to pull a couple rocks to cook them.. I might do one more even.. at any rate, I added more pumps.. a Hydor Koralia #2 and a Tunze nanostream 6025.. the Tunze rocks over the K#2.. wow. I am so happy with the 6025.. it's unmodded right now, but I am thinking about replacing my K#2 with another 6025.. So, that combined with more agressive water changes seems to be doing the trick.. I still have some cyano, but it's waning off.. I have Chemiclean also and was thinking about adding a 1/2 dose to my tank just to ZAP the traces of cyano left.. or should I just not use that? hrm..

Anyways.. so I want to start stocking my tank up a little here.. I want to get some mini brittle stars and one large one, for clean-up purposes (I have a very active army of hermits and snails also, but the those mini brittle stars seem to get down and dirty with the detritus.. I want to get a couple more Zoa colonies and muchroom rocks.. and maybe some SPS or LPS corals.. in stages mind you.. but what shop should I go to for these? I am in Marin (Tiburon to be exact.. imagine that! ;)) and I know of PetClub, but not much there in the way of inverts or corals... I have been to that 6th Ave place but I wasn't that impressed with the stuff they had there.. place was a mad house also.. wow! maybe I should give it another go? What about Planet Reef in Richmond?

Try our sponsors in SF - check the sponsors page for addresses. I don't know of anything in Marin sorry. Weird you would think they have a shop somewhere in Marin.

Hi - thanks... no I didn't expect anything in Marin, but was just stating that as a point of reference as to where I was.. sorry if confusing.

edit: looks like Ocean Treasures will be the closest to me.. of the BAR sponsored shops.

Ocean Treasures is a good one, they have lotttttssss of nice lps, softies, zoos, sps, and inverts, and usually their fish prices are very reasonable.

Oh really? sweet. I found someone on craigs list who has some zoa frags and sps also... I think I might check those out and also check out Ocean Treasures. Thanks for the heads up. :)

I live in Mill Valley and there is nothing near us!!!! You pretty much have no option but to go into the city. Unless....You want to deal with the Pet club in Corte Madera.
It's good to know I am not the only reefer in Marin :) I would love to drive out and see your tank someday.

- Dan

hey!! lol.. yeah,. I have noticed there isn't anything.. grrr.. except for Steve @ PC in Corte Madera.. I actually got all my fish from him and have given him some of my xenia.. but as far as inverts or corals, nadda zip diddly bupkis. *sigh* I want to go check out Ocean Treasures soon.. but am letting my skimmer break in a little more before I start stocking up on corals.. I'm actually looking for a nice sand sifting gobie right now... At any rate, we should def check out each others tanks.. I'm typically around on the weekends.. do a lot of near home stuffs. PM me if you wanna come over to see the tank. (it's not too exciting at the moment, but my LR looks really nice I think)

Hey Tiburon check out the SF tank tour on the 15th if it goes down.

Ocean Treasures (OT) might be one of the places we'll visit as well.

FrillyMushrooms.jpg

Here is an older picture, Sorry about the bad color representation.
They are on a rock about 1 or 2 lbs.
Just let me know when your available. :)

Big thanks to TikiDan for the mushroom rock! I love it... but it took me like an hour to find the perfect spot for it.. then I moved other stuff around.. before I knew it it was tank critter re-arranging night. lol. ANyways.. pics later when the lights are on. :) Super cool to meet you Dan! (and your wife.. and awesome tank... and cats. :))

Hi one quick question... the area I put them in has some random flow and it shakes the mushrooms a bit.. is that too intense for them? will they be bothered by that? I put my hand there and it doesn't seem very intense (the flow) but it moves them around a bit. Just wondering.

lol.. they are not in danger of that by any means. :) just wanted to make sure.. sometimes critters like minimal flow so they can puff-out better.. Anyways.. thanks again!

Back