got ethical husbandry?

Looking for a newbie fragging partner.

So, there's a frag swap coming up, and after the tank tour I've been inspired to put some work into my tank instead of letting it just coast. I've decided there are some things that are taking up more than their allotted space, and I should do some major fragging before the trade. It can be a lot of work, and I truly hate hate hate labeling those containers.

In addition, the other day I was in an LFS and a new bay area resident was shopping for coral. Naturally I mentioned the club, and the upcoming frag trade, but was met with a common response: "I'm just setting up my new tank and have nothing to swap."

I've decided to try and combine those two problems. If you've been wishing you had some coral to trade, are tired of staring at an empty tank, and willing to write a billion labels please reply. I'm kind of hoping to help out new members here, sorry to people with established connections in the club and established tanks but you won't be the first choice if a newbie volunteers.

I'm off the day before the trade, and the day of the trade. The specific help I'm looking for is help labeling, containerizing, and possibly transporting the corals. If you came over to my house early the day of the trade, we could also carpool.

I am planning to frag the corals slowly over the next few weeks, but if you are also new to coral fragging, then it's possible you could join me for that part too. There will be some simple fragging immediately before the swap also (frogspawn, candycane type stuff.)

Let me know if you are interested.

Oh, meant to also add that the person can have first pick of a few frags if they help out. I've gotta have some left to bring to the swap though! :)

I wont be able to make the BAR swap as I am attending the NVR swap that day. I try to split my time between both clubs.

I am willing to come by and help you frag, glue and label things though. Sounds like fun :)

I think you are way overqualified. Aren't you a professional fragger and labeler? :)

Maybe I'll drop by with a six-pack

Last edited:
So I'm not a newbie to BAR or to Reef tanks, but I am a newbie to fragging, I've accidentally broken some corals, lopped pieces of a dying coral to try to save it but other than that no real fragging of my own.

I probably don't need more corals for my tank, I've managed to stuff a few small colonies & several frags in my tank over the past year.
I can definitely use some training in this department from observing how different types of corals are fragged, where abouts in the bay area are you? I'd love to help if you're not far....

hhmmm if a suitable candidate comes up go ahead & help them out, I'm going to see if I can make it out that way next wednesday & get back to you, I'm all the way in Hayward

Get in touch before you make plans. I work an odd schedule, and Wednesday is my first day off of 7 days off. I am flexible within my days off.

That sounds right up my alley, but I'm way over in Dublin. What kind of labels are you looking for? Is this something that can be done form afar?

And if you happen to need fragging "help" (in quotes because I'm a total newbie and am unsure how much help I would be) this Saturday or Sunday I can be there.

BTW, it was great meeting you during the tank tour on Sunday.

Last edited:
It was nice meeting you as well. Those tank tours are great and I'm glad people put out the effort to put them together and participate.

This weekend I'm working, so nothing will happen until at least wednesday. It's quite the trip from Dublin, however I live very close to BART so that would be an option for you. Up to you if it's worth the trip, but likely next wednesday is the day. I just realized this is closer to the frag trade then I originally thought, but I simply don't have time to do any fragging before then.

Well, I work in Emeryville. We're winding down and packing up our labs, so I might be able to swing a few hours on Wednesday. I'm not super familiar with SF, (have great GPS) how close are you to the Bay Bridge? Maybe we could make this work. If so, tell me what I can do to prepare before Wednesday, and PM with an address and time to meet.

Last edited:
Back