High Tide Aquatics

Looking for Advanced fragging advice for Acan Lords

Invictus

Secretary
BOD
Hi All,

Firstly, I'll say that I have fragged Acans (Lords) before, and am aware of general best practices, but am looking for advice for my specific situation.

The small colony pictured, as one example, has 7 total heads (some tiny/developing) completely surrounding a very small amount of skeleton. The skeleton is probably the size of a tiny marble. I don't have to frag this, but it doesn't have any more room to grow short of spreading down onto the frag disk. Also, cutting it through the middle isn't an option, as the biggest nicest head is smack dab on the top. It would be a microscopic job for the bandsaw at some tough angles.

Ultimately I'd like to get a few heads onto my rockwork, and a few for continued propagation.

Not sure what to do. Is it too small to risk cutting? Love to hear thoughts.

IMG_9881.jpg

Cutting through the middle of that big head at this point is probably the best way to frag it at this point. What you should do in the future is make a ramp with 2 part epoxy. This way the acan has something smoothe to transition to and encrust.

Cutting through the middle of that big head at this point is probably the best way to frag it at this point. What you should do in the future is make a ramp with 2 part epoxy. This way the acan has something smoothe to transition to and encrust.
I had that exact idea recently about the "ramp". Will do in the future. Thanks for your thoughts.

If it were me I would put that disc onto a bigger one, let it grow awhile, the either pop/saw off the current one from the bigger one, or saw off horizontally the big head at some point

Back