got ethical husbandry?

Mangrove starts

I wouldn't mind a couple/few. How long will the last out of water? Not quite sure I have enough room to put more than a few (plus I really don't want to have my electric meter spin that much more due to that added light).

Out of curiosity what is "freezing" I mean beyond the literal term, I wonder if they can survive from the sunlight in my green house area which can get a bit chilly in the winter, but the tank water they are in would still be a toasty 78°F

It gets cold in FLA, even freezes, but I would keep them above 68 :)

Well that's what I'm wondering, no way in hell the room with my tanks is near 68° except on the hottest of hot days.

I'd hate to have them die just because the ambient air temp is too cold for them.

A few facts about Mangroves...

1. Best place to keep is the sump under CFL light (I have a contractor's light holding it directly above the sump)
2. Light Substrate is best to keep the roots under... But I would place rocks above the substrate since their roots will grow... I have them sitting on branch dead corals in the sump and under the rocks there's substrate. Unless your water level is low in the sump, then it's OK. The trick is to keep the leafs and top of the trunk above water level.
3. Roots of mangroves are very strong, unless you keep an eye out for them... They could fill-up the sump with the root and actually crack the sump because they are that strong. (Just keep an eye out for the growth of roots)
4. Nitrates/nutrients are stored in the leafs of the mangroves. Keep an eye out for fallen leafs... You will NEED to remove them if you do not want the nutrients to go back into the water.

GreshamH said:
I need to get a weekend off so I can come up and go out on your boat... I NEED crab & some damn fish!!!
Just do it!
We can get crabs and abs.
As far as I know there are only sand dabs to catch on the outside.
(legally) :davie:

Jay and Mike,
There are plenty to go around.
If I didn't gather them up then the condo associations on the beach would have and they would get tossed in a mulch pile and be composted. I suggest you both give em a try and if it works for you then great. If not, no harm and I won't feel that you have been irresponsible with the resource. BTW Mike, I meant below 32 deg f for freezing. :D. I don't think they will die if it's cold but will grow faster if it's warm.
The leaves will burn if they are too close to MH.
They last quite a while out of water. I am keeping them in a pail right now with an inch or two of water.

mangrove11-09005.jpg

There are over 100 I think.
wanna guess?

so far...
Gresham 10
aalhait 10
tuberider few
badbread 3
mike few
xinumaster 10
pixelpixi few
melly mel few

Not even half are spoken for.
Anyone else?

Can I have more then 10? My new house needs a tank and I am going to do a mangrove lagoon tank in my window :) :lol: I even plan on doing a small tidal surge :p

Back