Jestersix

Marineland fish tanks

Anyone have experience with these? Where to buy them?

They sell an 18" x 18" x 18" cube that I *THINK* would make a great sump for my setup.

No distributors in norcal area for marinland tanks. There is a thread on this subject on the Greater Bay Area forum on RC a few pages back.

Yeah I really wanted to try one of those "deep dimension" ones... god damn f'ing Central Pet and refusing to sell them. You might be able to get one shipped, but ... yeah shipping issues.

Robert (NA) told me that he's trying to get the tank. Wondering where he's at on that.

It would be an expensive sump though. Have you tried to get World Marine System to make you a sump? They are in SJ.

tuberider said:
CGS distributes Marineland, why can't a LFS get their tanks? Perhaps because CGS owns Marineland?

I'll tell you via the phone but not posting about it here.

I dunno, LFS might not want to cross horns with Central Pet.

The gist of what I heard when someone actually called Marineland on my behalf (while I was in the store too :D) is that Central Pet wants to push their Oceanic line, and didn't want any competition from Marineland. This was basically 2nd hand info (really close second hand) from a Marineland rep.

Basically Central Pet own a monopoly over the area, are doing things that are the reason monopolies are illegal, but for whatever reason aren't considered a monopoly (or no one has challenged the matter)

You hit the nail on the head Mike! CGP does not own Marineland, they distribute Marineland, so therefore the have the power when comes to distribution.

I called Taylor down at DPV, he said he could get the tanks but they would be pricey. I'm suppose to call back today, if I can I'll let you know what he quotes me for the 18" one just to get an idea.

badbread said:
I called Taylor down at DPV, he said he could get the tanks but they would be pricey. I'm suppose to call back today, if I can I'll let you know what he quotes me for the 18" one just to get an idea.

MUCH MUCH MUCH closer then anyone else on this thread :) It has nothing to do with illegal monopolies or related subjects. Not in the least.

Strange, when I inquired about the specific Marineland tank (the 3' wide ones) from two separate LFS I didn't get a response of "it'll be pricey" I got a response of Central Pet won't distribute them, granted this was around a year ago so they may have changed their tunes. But I hard think CGP wouldn't sell them because they're "too expensive"

Ask Craig to see if he can make you one.. :) .. I'm picking up this tank from Craig tomorrow.
http://www.bareefers.org/home/node/7995

Yeah Craig didn't do a half bad job too bad he didn't get to actually use the tank! Hopefully when I have time to focus I'll run by some numbers to Craig to see if building a tank is feasible.

Back