got ethical husbandry?

Metal Stand Cost

I'm considering having a metal stand made for my 40B that will have the (current) dimensions of 36"L x 18"W x 44"H. I plan on having a second level within the stand itself so I can support a 20L fuge-sump system (with skimmer) along with an area for an ATO, GFO, and Carbon reactor.

Does anyone have a rough idea on the costs for something like this? I'm guessing the standard is 1.5" square tubing with 1/4" thickness. Is that too strong or weak? I also plan on skinning this but I haven't figured out how to do that yet. I guess I just screw directly into the tubing?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I would get a quote from one of the ship yard welders.. they will prolly give you the best price. They weld boat towers all the time, and something like this would be easy for them to create and you can power coat the metal yourself.

Maybe KKMI in Richmond?

Once my guy comes back I'll let you know how he skinned mine. You can always liquid nail board, hardy or sheet rock to it. My guy is leaning more towards small metal screws that way it doesnt slip over time. And the screws are pretty small and you can attach plybead board directly to it.

Yeah, I'm definitely looking into something sturdy yet modular. The magnet wood panels is a great idea, especially since metal frames can be pretty heavy. =/

Denzil,

I'm assuming you're thinking steel?

You're looking at a couple of hundred bucks.
The material is quite inexpensive. You can go thinner wall thickness than 0.25. Like half that.
The weld prep and welding is what costs you.
Then you need to coat it. If steel, she's going to rust away unless painted (well).

If SS or Al, then the cost will go up on material, and may exclude MIG in favor of TIG, which can limit who can weld it.

Talk to Gen at Kritter and keep it in the BAR family.

Yeah, I'm thinking I'm going to go the wood route since I know I can make my stand on my own and for a lot cheaper. I definitely don't have the luxury to build a stand that will cost me a couple hundred bucks. Maybe I'll fit in some magnets within the wood columns if I decide I want to use magnets for skinning.

I think a wood stand would serve you well on a tank of that size. A metal stand for that tank is just overkill. And yes if you are talking about just a frame for that tank, the wood wouldn't cost you more than 20-30 bucks. You would probably need 7 2"x4"x8' douglas fir pieces @ 3 dollars a piece. Throw in a box or 2 of deck screws and you are still under 40. This is not including any kind of plywood but you would have to get than anyway for a metal stand.

Like Ian says I think a metal stand for your tank size is overkill. You can get some finished plywood at Lowes/HD for $50-$60 and just build it with pocket screws. No need to build a frame.

John, that is true for a tank of that size you could just build a plywood box similar to an ADA style stand.

I just looked up ADA style stands and that looks like a great idea as well. However, I want to place a middle platform to either support the 20L fuge-sump or 5 or 10 gallon ATO with the BRS GFO/Carbon reactor. I haven't quite decided if I want to have the 20L on the platform or on the bottom of the stand. Considering that the skimmer is 22" high and will be in the sump area of the 20L, I might just build a partial shelf over the non-sump areas so I can maximize the vertical space within the stand. If I can make it work, I may be able to bring the stand height down from 44" since Brandie thinks it's too tall of a stand. :)

Ultimately, I want awesome flexibility with the stand so that maintenance on any of the equipment is a cinch.

Yeah, that's my ultimate last resort though, haha. I think I'd be unhappy if I had to do that though. I'll make it work somehow.

Back