Reef nutrition

micro bubbles from pump

Apon

Supporting Member
Recently my Iwaki or is it Ikawi? pump has been giving alot of micro bubble in the return. The strange thing is that I have the return split into 3 and only 1 return head is putting microbubles in the tank. Is there anything I should do about it. Do the microbubles harm anything. Its hard to describe and hard to getting the bubbles in the picture. :?: Any thoughts?

Continuous microbubbles are irritating to fish in that the small bubbles adhere to the slime coat and oxidize (burn) first the slime coat, then the skin (scales). On the other hand, microbubbles seem to be no prob for corals and have even been cited as beneficial. I'd clean the entire pump path (intake screen, impeller and housing, output parts etc...) and examine the impeller for wear. -Jim

I had a similar problem on some pvc pipe I was using, forgot to glue a joint on one of the lines and it was basically succking in air from the joint. Make sure everything is tight and/or sealed well. Key here is that only 1/3 of the outputs have bubbles in them.

Back