Jestersix

Moving a water heater 3ish feet

richiev

Supporting Member
We had some HVAC equipment removed from our garage, clearing up a ton of space. One side effect of this is we have a big open area next to our water heater now. I'd like to convert that into my aquarium water area (RODI storage + saltwater mixing). However, if I do then it'd mean either I can't put additional storage next to it, or I can't really access it.

Ideally I'd like to move my water heater over about 3 feet, to the open spot. Anyone know if this is difficult, and/or how much this would cost for someone competent to do it?

My assumption is this would entail draining it, disconnecting the hoses & gas line & exhaust vent & earthquake bracing, moving it over, and reattaching things. If I can just use flexible tubing to attach, then presumably it'd just mean I need to get longer piping and wouldn't need to do anything else. The venting actually would be a lot straighter after I move it.

Pics attached

PXL_20231106_222656298~2 (1).jpg

PXL_20231106_222701107.jpg

move it the the left closer to the other wall? Just be sure to either give yourself enough room to access the valve, or move/add another valve where it can be accessed. Other then that, your plan is how its done.

Purge the air when refilling.

Back