Jestersix

Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser = Good Algae Scrubber ?!?!

Jake's right about that (author of that post on RB). If you can't plop down the $$$ on a MM the Mr Cleans is a great alternative.

This IS very interesting... and like the article said it's just "another" item in the arsenal of tank cleaners. I don't know if I'm comforatable with the disolving the pad will go through in the tank while using though. I see why the impact is minimal or non existent... I just don't like to mess if I can help it.

Small Algae Cutter Sock from MM that can be used on several types of tank magnet cleaners.... $5.00... last a long time from what I understand.... have had mine only for a few weeks... and love it.

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser... Typical retail for a box of 4 is $4-$8 I believe. and they disolve fairly quickly while in use.

So as long as you have a magnet the price difference is not too far off from each other I think.

I do see the value however in the way the magic eraser can get to spots the sock often can't get to. Especially on my tank the two front corners are curved and can be a pain to clean.

You are forgetting there is no local source for MM and ME you can get almost everywhere ;)

True True.... but are we Reefers not supposed to be patient? ;) ;D

... as a side note it took only 3 days to get my order from MM.

For some reason I can't ever see anything posted at Reefbuilders, it comes up with a header and then nothing on the page. But since the erasers dissolve quickly, what are they made of?

You know it really wasn’t our intention to post solely on algae cleaning and algae removing solutions today, it just happened that way. The latest tool to add to your glass cleaning arsenal is Mr. Clean’s “Magic Eraser” pad. The Magic Eraser cleaning pad is actually a kind of Melamine Foam which is manufactured by BASF as Basotect. The microfine structure of melamine foam is made up of very hard tiny fibres which prove to be very efficient at cleaning surfaces. melamineThe microfine texture is probably able to remove algae closer to the glass which would explain why some users have reported that algae seems to grow back more slowly after scraping the glass with the Magic Eraser. The soft pad is totally acrylic safe and it will even work wonders to get those tough corners. Thanks goes to fragd.it for the heads up about the Magic Eraser which can be purchased at supermarkets at minimal cost.

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=6683.msg86325#msg86325 date=1236198467]
For some reason I can't ever see anything posted at Reefbuilders, it comes up with a header and then nothing on the page. But since the erasers dissolve quickly, what are they made of?

[/quote]

...also from the discussion thread with the article.... "as the scrubber abrades it will add additional nitrogen to the tank as melamine is highly saturated with primary and tertiary nitrogens". But... "The nitrogen mineralization process for melamine is extremely slow".

It's a pretty moot point at that as the uber small amount released won't effect anything.

Back