Mulling over lighting. Advice sought.

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Bruce Spiegelman, Feb 22, 2017.

1. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

Could be bad/weak/cheap GFCI plug, could be that that the ballast some how holds the current for a bit (inductor, capacitor, etc) and as a result tricks the GFCI plug thinking that more power went in than came out. I used to have this issue with magnetic ballasts all the time, switched to electronic and never had the issue again.

2. Vincerama2

Vincerama2 Evil Overlord

I'm using icecap electronic ballasts, one is brand new, the other is not brand new.

I would actually prefer that the lights simply stayed off when the power came back. They are on simple timers anyway, so they have to be re-set to the current time. I can just turn them on again manually and nothing dies after a day without light, but a popped GFCI or whatever is popping will be worse.

V

But I digress and thread-jack. Carry one please!

3. yellojello

yellojello Supporting Member

For a 48"x24"x12" tall (short)... would you go with 6 or 8 bulb T5? I was thinking of added LED strips on each side (I have a spare Reefbrite already). I have plenty of height and no canopy. In my backroom, so I don't care how it looks, thus will get a hydroponics fixture and schedule with my APEX.

4. Bruce Spiegelman

Bruce Spiegelman Supporting Member

If you're going with a hydroponics fixture I'd go with 8 simply because the reflectors aren't near as good, but it also depends on what you're growing in the tank.

5. yellojello

SPS. Yea 8 bulb isn't that much more. I missed a local guy selling his ATI fixture with reefbrites

6. Bruce Spiegelman

I saw that post this morning. Incredibly cheap even though it was the Tek Reefbrights. But if you're in no rush, and doing SPS, I'd still consider waiting till I found a well-priced ATI fixture over a no name. All indications point to the reflectors making a huge difference especially for any sps near the back and sides.

7. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

I have a 4' 8 bulb tek light...
    I think 6 bulb probably enough Tho.

8. Bruce Spiegelman

What does it tell you?

9. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

To sell it

10. Bruce Spiegelman

Hahahaha. Awesome -- your tank is your wife!

11. daddio

daddio Supporting Member

12. yellojello

Picking up a used 6 bulb ATI from a local reefer :) Going to add 2 led bars to supplement. Taking my sweet time to polish out my used frag tank :confused: