Kessil

Multiparameter Checker by Hanna... Anyone have this?

If you're interested, I have a diy Hanna test tube shaker. It's a couple electronics + a bit of 3d printing. It just shakes the tube, so that I can pull off 3 tests without waiting. I've only made 1, but I think it cost around $10 in parts. Not better than a small magnetic stirrer, but more portable.

I get the N started shaking, then while that's going I get the P test started. By the time I'm ready to get the P reagent in, the N is done shaking and I can put it in the tester and start it's 7 minute timer.

I then start the P shaking, and while that's going on I do an Alk test (5 shakes). By the time I'm mostly done with that, I can move the P to it's tester and start it's 3 minute timers.

Gets me 3 tests done in parallel in about 10 minutes.

* Shaker
* 10ml auto pipette: https://a.co/d/h2y2eNF
* Various Hanna testers
* A microfiber towel - for cleaning glass
* A small scissors - for packets
* Some RODI in a little squirt bottle - for rinsing as needed
* 1-2 small Tupperwares (for garbage or dumping)

All that I keep in a little Rubbermaid. Makes testing much more time efficient and allows me to do multiple tests in parallel.

If you're interested, I have a diy Hanna test tube shaker. It's a couple electronics + a bit of 3d printing. It just shakes the tube, so that I can pull off 3 tests without waiting. I've only made 1, but I think it cost around $10 in parts. Not better than a small magnetic stirrer, but more portable.

I get the N started shaking, then while that's going I get the P test started. By the time I'm ready to get the P reagent in, the N is done shaking and I can put it in the tester and start it's 7 minute timer.

I then start the P shaking, and while that's going on I do an Alk test (5 shakes). By the time I'm mostly done with that, I can move the P to it's tester and start it's 3 minute timers.

Gets me 3 tests done in parallel in about 10 minutes.

* Shaker
* 10ml auto pipette: https://a.co/d/h2y2eNF
* Various Hanna testers
* A microfiber towel - for cleaning glass
* A small scissors - for packets
* Some RODI in a little squirt bottle - for rinsing as needed
* 1-2 small Tupperwares (for garbage or dumping)

All that I keep in a little Rubbermaid. Makes testing much more time efficient and allows me to do multiple tests in parallel.
That’s pretty neat. And efficient.
My challenge is the N packet in that it doesn’t disperse well in that packet and I have trouble getting into the tube.

I just take to using two tubes and a small funnel.
Tube1 -get first Reading
Tube2 -use a tiny funnel and put powder through-then add water from tube1 -this gets all the powder that might cling to funnel

Use funnel and transfer back to tube1.
Close. Shake. And put back into Hanna.
Maybe not the most efficient way.

My challenge is the N packet in that it doesn’t disperse well in that packet and I have trouble getting into the tube.

Tube1 -get first Reading
Tube2 -use a tiny funnel and put powder through-then add water from tube1 -this gets all the powder that might cling to funnel

Might affect your reading though right? Should be zeroing with the same tube due to scratches on the surface, etc.

Might affect your reading though right? Should be zeroing with the same tube due to scratches on the surface, etc.

That’s why I transfer back to the original tube used in the Hanna for that reading to account for any optical differences (scratches, slight discoloration over time, etc)

Tube1 -get first Reading

We're bordering on a thread hijack :). I feel as long as I'm consistently getting all the free powder, I'm good. My strategy:

1. Flick it around, getting the powder loose and into the corner without the cut lines
2. Cut the cut line sides off
3. Pull it apart like a fortune cookie shape, flick to make sure the powder is in the crease or bottom
4. Pour
5. Flick again a couple times
6. Pour
7. Flick more of I still see powder moving around.

These are mass manufactured and are going to have some tolerances in how much you get. Leaving some residue in can add more error as well, but I think trying to get every bit out might be implying more accuracy/precision than it actually overall has.

My take is just get the majority of the stuff out, and do it quickly, so that you can test more often. When I personally was stressing about doing it perfect it increased the effort/stress in doing it, which discouraged me from testing. I am looking for 1 vs 5 vs 10 vs ...

We're bordering on a thread hijack :). I feel as long as I'm consistently getting all the free powder, I'm good. My strategy:

1. Flick it around, getting the powder loose and into the corner without the cut lines
2. Cut the cut line sides off
3. Pull it apart like a fortune cookie shape, flick to make sure the powder is in the crease or bottom
4. Pour
5. Flick again a couple times
6. Pour
7. Flick more of I still see powder moving around.

These are mass manufactured and are going to have some tolerances in how much you get. Leaving some residue in can add more error as well, but I think trying to get every bit out might be implying more accuracy/precision than it actually overall has.

My take is just get the majority of the stuff out, and do it quickly, so that you can test more often. When I personally was stressing about doing it perfect it increased the effort/stress in doing it, which discouraged me from testing. I am looking for 1 vs 5 vs 10 vs ...

High jack away!!!

Thanks @SupraSaltyReefer! I will watch this.
My issue is specifically with the nitrate powder as I find that it is..sticky unlike the others. And does not play nicely going into the corner.

I think new glasses might help too! My aim sometimes is a bit off trying to get the powder into the tube @richiev -the method I use, while seems counterintuitive, I find faster to execute and more consistent in results.

But I will def watch the video and look for room for improvement

The Red Sea Nitrate Pro is better than the Hanna Nitrate checker and others I’ve tried, in my opinion. It’s the only Red Sea kit I use but it’s a good one.

The Red Sea Nitrate Pro is better than the Hanna Nitrate checker and others I’ve tried, in my opinion. It’s the only Red Sea kit I use but it’s a good one.
Have you tried the Nyos one? Never liked my Salifert one (only Salifert test I've really not been able to get good measurements from).

Have you tried the Nyos one? Never liked my Salifert one (only Salifert test I've really not been able to get good measurements from).
No I didn’t try Nyos. I agree about the Salifert Nitrate kit, didn’t like it. I happily use Salifert for Alk, Ca, Mg though. Hanna checker ultra low range for phosphate.

Back